We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Yokohama to Hiroshima

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
500 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
From Yokohama to Hiroshima

Hi,

So for one of our day we will have a long train journey from Yokohama to Hiroshima - thought we would start with the longest leg and so our next one will be shorter (Hiroshima to Kyoto, then Kyoto back to Tokyo).

I understand to avoid using public transport during rush hour at the main city, but wondering whether it would also apply for this journey? We will start using the JR pass, and think we have to change to shinkansen hikari at Shinagawa and then to shinkansen sakura at Shin-Osaka... was hoping to leave Yokohama around 7am if we actually won't see the human rush at the stop we have to go...

Your help is much appreciated.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,992 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Yokohama to Hiroshima

Where in Yokohama are you starting your journey from? If it's near Yokohama Station, take the JR Line to Shin-yokohama and transfer to the Shinkansen there. No need to back track to Shinagawa.

In general, Hikari trains from Shin-yokohama to Shin-osaka are available every 30 minutes. Same is true from Shin-osaka to Hiroshima. It's not a big deal if you miss one train.

The Sakura is one of the newest Shinkansens, so it's nice to take that if it fits your schedule.

Edited: 1:25 am, May 19, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
500 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Yokohama to Hiroshima

Thank you very much for your reply. I will definitely check out which would be the closest train station for us to start our journey from! It is also good to know that the train is quite frequent so it won't push us back too much if we were to miss one...

Also, I am trying to decide whether or not to base ourselves in Osaka and then train to Hiroshima instead... Originally we weren't planning to visit Osaka so thought it makes sense to just go straight to Hiroshima, rather than to do a day trip... but now with the Himeji castle under renovation, I was wondering whether it would worth staying in Osaka so we could visit the Osaka castle... or is Hiroshima castle already an impressive site? Are there any other castles we could perhaps visit? We will visit Yokohama, Hiroshima, Kyoto (day trip to Nara) and then Tokyo (day trip to Kamakura, o/n trip to Hakone).

Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance.

Edited: 4:16 am, May 22, 2011
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,992 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Yokohama to Hiroshima

Osaka is not very popular among tourists but it's a great city to stay for a few days--food and nightlife are especially good. If you're going to Hiroshima as a day trip, it is more convenient from Osaka than from Kyoto. When you go from Kyoto, it is usually necessary to change the Shinkansen at Shin-Osaka when using the JR Pass.

Osaka castle is totally worth your time. The inside is a concrete museum now but the stone foundations and moats are impressive. Here are some pics:

www.flickr.com/photos/eternity99/5249061452/

www.flickr.com/photos/ttk2010/4825124442/

Hiroshima Castle is really small. I visited once when I was in high school. I wasn't very impressed, so I haven't revisited since:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3402.html

Hikone Castle is nice but it's a bit of detour:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7001.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,563 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Yokohama to Hiroshima

Osaka is not a big sightseeing destination. You can probably see the major sights all in a day or two max. It's the atmosphere and the vibe of the city that becomes enjoyable after a while. I highly encourage you to spend a couple of days there just to wander around.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Yokohama to Hiroshima

Osaka castle was the largest Japanese castle (or if I'm not mistaken, the largest in the world) ever built. Unfortunately, the original Toyotomi castle (thought invincible) and Osaka town was destroyed by the Tokugawa Shogunate during war (very cunningly- all Osaka people know the history and still have bad feelings about the Tokyo people for that), and after that a slightly smaller Tokugawa-era castle was rebuilt. It was also destroyed by fire and the second world war. So, we now have a concrete museum which has a sort of half-way between the Toyotomi and Tokugawa era appearance on Tokugawa era mound. The place is interesting if you learn about Japanese medieval history beforehand (just read wikipedia english articles). It is not fair to ask for a large historic castle like Himeji to survive through the years.

Edited: 12:54 am, May 23, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Yokohama to Hiroshima

All shinkansen trains now stop at Shin-Yokohama today (which is personally unpleasant, for there were days when you got on a Hikari from Kyoto it would only stop at Nagoya before arriving at Tokyo), so if you are staying near Yokohama, then this is your choice. If you want to stay in Osaka, I recommend a night around Dotonbori/Shinsaibashi/Namba aka Minami area, although Umeda/JR Osaka aka Kita area might be slightly convenient for your travel (Shin-Osaka is of course the most convenient for a Shinkansen stop-over, but nothing is there except for the Shinkansen station).

Kobe can be a good alternative. You may stay right next to Shinkansen station and enjoy a downtown stroll in Sannomiya / Motomachi / Chinatown / Harborland or go hiking up in Rokko (partly by cable car).

Kobe is known for its patisseries (Kobekeith should post about recommended cake and coffee shops).

Edited: 1:55 am, May 23, 2011
7. Re: From Yokohama to Hiroshima

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:32 am, May 24, 2012