We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nagoya to Hiroshima to Miyajima then back to Nagoya

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nagoya to Hiroshima to Miyajima then back to Nagoya

I’ll be visiting Hiroshima at the end of July after my business stay in Nagoya – my first time in both cities. Based on what I’ve gathered from this forum, Nagoya is an industrial city that doesn’t have a lot for tourists to see other than the nearby Toyota factory which I have no interest in. I read about Miyajima here, so I guess I’d check it out even though I’ve never heard of this island until reviewing this thread.

1) I looked up the Shinkansen fare on the Hyperdia website and found out it’s pretty expensive to get from Nagoya to Hiroshima. I didn’t realize the pricing is a combination of Fare + Seat Fee, which is kind of strange. Does anyone have any suggestion or any trick to get cheaper fare? Would it be cheaper to get round trip passes or multi-stops to pass through a less popular city or some other combination?

2) It seems to me most tourists went to Hiroshima just to see the historical sites in hurry and then left immediately without actually spending time to enjoy the city. For me, I’d like to wander around to get a feel of the city and its night life. Is it 3 full days just right, too short, or too long to stay in Hiroshima and Miyajima?

3) I’ll probably end up staying at Rihga Royal hotel because all other hotels are pretty much booked. How expensive is it to take taxi from the train station to the hotel?

4) I understand that it’s much cheaper to take the street car or tram but there is a waiting time. Is there a street car that stops within walking distance to the Rihga hotel?

5) Should I bother to print out the Hiroshima city maps I got from the internet before I go, or are there plenty ‘detailed’ city maps available at the train station to be picked up freely?

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Toyota
Toyota
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
RIHGA Royal Hotel Hiroshima
RIHGA Royal Hotel...
1,317 Reviews
Hiroshima, Japan
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nagoya to Hiroshima to Miyajima then back to Nagoya

Maybe the seat fee should be called something else, but it's basically a surcharge for fast trains--and the slow trains from Nagoya to Hiroshima take about 10 hours with many changes of train. It is a long way--528 km.

I recall that Hirohshima is a pretty easy city to wander, much of it being on a rectangular grid. On Miyajima, take time to go to the top and see the islands of the Inland Sea.

According to the Rihga Royal web site, , the ride by taxi is 1,000 yen and takes about 10 minutes; it also has tram directions: http://www.rihga.com/hiroshima/location.html

My guess is that the hotel will have maps and will mark destinations for you. The hotel's Japanese-language map might be better for showing to taxi drivers and tram operators www.rihga-hiroshima.co.jp/map/img/map.pdf

Have you already been to Kyoto? It's much closer to Nagoya.

Or consider visiting my favorite, Takayama. It's a tidy town up in the mountains with a preserved historic district, some other historic buildings, and a fine collection of old farmhouses. The rest of the town is good for wandering and seeing how people live and shop. There are a couple of possible side trips: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5900.html I would stay two nights.

It's ¥ 5,870 each way from Nagoya, on the comfy Hida Wideview Limited Express. The trip is a pleasant two and a half hours, the first part through urban sprawl, but then through the countryside. Someone will come through the corridor selling sandwiches, beverages and bento. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bento

Mentioned in this post
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
RIHGA Royal Hotel Hiroshima
RIHGA Royal Hotel...
1,317 Reviews
Hiroshima, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Takayama
Takayama
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55,328 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nagoya to Hiroshima to Miyajima then back to Nagoya

I've spent several non-boring days in Nagoya. There are other things to see/do besides Toyota stuff. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2155.html

Depending on your final itinerary, a JR pass might be a good value. In addition, there are many regional passes available. http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

Rhiga - the ride by taxi is 1,000 yen and takes about 10 minutes. http://www.rihga.com/hiroshima/location.html

Mentioned in this post
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Toyota
Toyota
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,927 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nagoya to Hiroshima to Miyajima then back to Nagoya

If you will be going roundtrip Nagoya to Hiroshima, then a 7-day JR Pass will easily turn out to be money-saving at the end of your trip, particularly if you head to a couple other places. You could probably go to Hiroshima, and Miyajima as an overnight trip (leave your heavier luggage at your Nagoya hotel). After you make your way back to Nagoya, Takayama is indeed a good choice for another day trip, or if you have the time, stretch it to an overnight trip so you can make it to Shirakawa-go nearby.

I am not sure if you have been to Kyoto and Osaka. Kyoto is under 40 minutes from Nagoya via Shinkansen.

Mentioned in this post
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Takayama
Takayama
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nagoya to Hiroshima to Miyajima then back to Nagoya

Thank you for your suggestions. I reviewed the Japan Rail Pass website. The problem with the JR pass is that it’s not valid on the NOZOMI trains which run every 30 minutes. I can use JR pass to take the HIKARI train to Hiroshima, but it only runs twice a day in the early morning (according to the Hyperdia website). That’s not good because it’s too early on vacation days to get up at 6 O’clock in the morning to catch a train unless I want to pay for the NOZOMI fare. It seems to me there is no cheaper way around it unless I’m missing something?

I’ve already visited Kyoto last time when I was at Tokyo, but I have not yet been to Osaka. This time I’ll fly directly to Nagoya. I’m thinking to add Osaka to my round trip (about 7 days).

Nagoya – Hiroshima – Miyajima – Osaka – Nagoya

I’m not sure what to see in Osaka yet. I think I’ll read up on the Osaka thread. Feel free to give me some suggestions on Osaka. If I still have time at the end, I’ll probably add Takayama to the end.

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Takayama
Takayama
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,927 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nagoya to Hiroshima to Miyajima then back to Nagoya

You are forgetting that JR Pass is also valid on Kodama trains. While there are only two direct Hikari trains early in the morning between Nagoya and Hiroshima, you can take Kodama to Shinosaka and transfer to another Hikari train. It would only cost you 10-15 minutes more with the transfer.

Osaka is a large city that is somewhat similar to Tokyo, at least from the visitor's point of view. It's worth a full day there. Visit the port area, aquarium, Osaka Castle, Umeda, Namba and Dotonbori.

What to see and do:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2157.html

Mentioned in this post
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Osaka Castle
Osaka Castle
6,704 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
Dotonbori
Dotonbori
10,761 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
6. Re: Nagoya to Hiroshima to Miyajima then back to Nagoya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 09, 2011