I’ll be visiting Hiroshima at the end of July after my business stay in Nagoya – my first time in both cities. Based on what I’ve gathered from this forum, Nagoya is an industrial city that doesn’t have a lot for tourists to see other than the nearby Toyota factory which I have no interest in. I read about Miyajima here, so I guess I’d check it out even though I’ve never heard of this island until reviewing this thread.
1) I looked up the Shinkansen fare on the Hyperdia website and found out it’s pretty expensive to get from Nagoya to Hiroshima. I didn’t realize the pricing is a combination of Fare + Seat Fee, which is kind of strange. Does anyone have any suggestion or any trick to get cheaper fare? Would it be cheaper to get round trip passes or multi-stops to pass through a less popular city or some other combination?
2) It seems to me most tourists went to Hiroshima just to see the historical sites in hurry and then left immediately without actually spending time to enjoy the city. For me, I’d like to wander around to get a feel of the city and its night life. Is it 3 full days just right, too short, or too long to stay in Hiroshima and Miyajima?
3) I’ll probably end up staying at Rihga Royal hotel because all other hotels are pretty much booked. How expensive is it to take taxi from the train station to the hotel?
4) I understand that it’s much cheaper to take the street car or tram but there is a waiting time. Is there a street car that stops within walking distance to the Rihga hotel?
5) Should I bother to print out the Hiroshima city maps I got from the internet before I go, or are there plenty ‘detailed’ city maps available at the train station to be picked up freely?