We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accomodation in hiroshima or miyajima?

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Topic
accomodation in hiroshima or miyajima?

intend to spend one night in either hiroshima or miyajima, and am still sourcing for one hotel/ryokan.

questions:

1) i know most shops in miyajima closes after 5pm. What's there to do at night in miyajima? become a dead town?

2) if i want to watch sunset at miyajima in aug, what would be the latest time that i can stay till in miyajima before catching the last JR ferry back to Hiroshima?

3) is there any hotel in hiroshima that oversees the toji gates in miyajima?

4) What's there to do at night in hiroshima? is it a dead town?

5) What's the popular places that tourists stay around in hiroshima, other than the areas near the Peace Park & Musuem?

many thanks in advance

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
634 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accomodation in hiroshima or miyajima?

Miyajima is very quiet at night. I was there in March and walked around after dark - couldn't find anything open. You'd think there'd be some kind of local izakaya or ramen shop but I couldn't find it. August might be different because of increased numbers of tourists but I doubt it.

Hiroshima is not really directly opposite Miyajima. For a view of the torii you'd want to be in Miyajima-guchi (the ferries leave from there) or possibly Miyahama Onsen.

Hiroshima is a nice little town with a lot of bars and restaurants open in the evenings.

Don't know about places to stay other than around the Peace Park. There is a hotel right at the station - I think it is the Granvia.

Hiroshima, Japan
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: accomodation in hiroshima or miyajima?

1) Miyajima is very pretty at night - the atmosphere is nice especially around Itsukushima Shrine, but as Spendthrift says it is very quiet and little or nothing open. This doesn't change in the summer except for the fireworks festival on Aug 14.

There is one very nice cafe in a converted machiya house where you can get light meals, coffee, tea and drinks. It's called and can be found by turning up the side street opposite the giant rice spoon. MOre details can be found here

www.gethiroshima.com/en/Places/details…

and the cafe blog (in Japanese) is here

http://blog.itsuki-miyajima.com/

2) There are JR ferries back to Miyajima-guchi at 20:00, 20:42, 21:25 and 22:14.

3) Miyajima is about 20km from Hiroshima city center.

4) Hiroshima has a huge number of restaurants and lots of bars and cafes. Check out http://www.gethiroshima.com for listings of places and events. Or download our latest city guide for free at http://www.gethiroshima.com/getmap

5) Lots of people stay near the main railway station which saves on carry luggage around and is convenient for visiting Miyajima or taking in a baseball game at the new Mazda Stadium. But remember it's only about 2km from the station to the Peace Park so staying anywhere between the two will mean it's pretty easy to get to any of the main sights etc.

What kind of place/budget are you looking for?

Hope this helps and feel free to ask for any more info!

Paul

http://www.gethiroshima.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: accomodation in hiroshima or miyajima?

thank you very much for the info...

in terms of accomodations, i think i will stay in hiroshima.

over toyoko, comfort and hana, i will go for hana...as it is near JR Hiroshima.

By the way, from JR Hiroshima to peace park/ atomic bomb dome, how long is the journey and would the tram trips be covered by any train passes?

also, from JR Hiroshima, how do i get to Okonomi-village?

thanks again...

Hiroshima, Japan
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: accomodation in hiroshima or miyajima?

It's about a 20min ride on the streetcar from the Hiroshima Station tram stop to Genbaku Dome-mae (Atomic Bomb Dome) Station. Take streetcar number 2 (bound for Miyajima-guchi) or 6 (bound for Eba).

You can download a streetcar map here

hiroden.co.jp/train/rosenzu/streetcar_map.htm

All streetcar trips within the city center are ¥150 but not covered by JR passes. If you intend to use the Ropeway a Hiroden free pass be used on streetcars, the Matsudai ferry to Miyajima and the ropeway for ¥2000 (valid for 2 days). You can get the pass at the ticket booth at the Hiroshima Station streetcar stop (note passes are not available on the streetcar itself)

You can walk to okonomi village from the peace park. If you want somewhere near to the station, you may also want to consider Okonomi Monogatari on the 6th floor of a building in front of Hiroshima Station. There are a bunch of okonomiyaki stalls in there and a great atmosphere. I can highly recommend Tsuruya in there. You can find it on our GetHiroshima map

http://www.gethiroshima.com/getmap

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: accomodation in hiroshima or miyajima?

thanks for the info..

actually i will have a JR west sanyo pass, hence my JR ferry from Miyajima-guchi station to miyajima would be covered.

i know the Mt Misen ropeway is 1800 yen (round trip), so it would appear that the Hiroden free pass that can be used on streetcars, the Matsudai ferry to Miyajima and the ropeway for ¥2000 (valid for 2 days), seems to be very worthwhile, cinsidering streetcars are 150 yen per trip.

Btw, is streetcar= trams?

I will reach Kansai Airport around 8.30am. by the time i reach Hirsohima, it will be about 1pm already.

Do you think i will enough time to explore Mt Misen and Miyajima on that day itself? Or shd i spend some more time the nex day?

I only have 1 night in Hiroshima and I am currently intending to explore Hiroshima city next half day. Hence, I foresee the only streetcar travel would be from Hotel Hana to Peace Park area (to and fro) and that's about it.

any comments or advice?

Thanks

Hiroshima, Japan
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: accomodation in hiroshima or miyajima?

Hi foofam77

Yes, streetcars are trams. I never know which word to use!

The last car on the ropeway bringing you down leaves at 17:30 so you might want to play it by ear and see what time you get into Hiroshima, checked in etc. You should allow about an hour to get to Miyajima and you need extra time on Mt Misen if you want to walk up to the actual summit and back to the ropeway station. If you don't have time, you could see some of the city on your first day and get an early start the next.

Perhaps the best advice I can give you is stay another night in Hiroshima (-; Seriously, it's hard to get a real feel for the place in just 24 hours.

Paul

http://www.gethiroshima.com

PS when are you going to be here?

7. Re: accomodation in hiroshima or miyajima?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, November 14, 2009