We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

Hello,

I am staying in Kyoto for 3 nights next month but was thinking about having the day in Hiroshima/Miyajima.

Could anyone advise me of travel durations to these places so i can plan my day?

Thanks a lot

Jo

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,215 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

From Kyoto, it's about 2 hrs. by JR to Hiroshima, another 30 min. will bring you to Miyajimaguchi which is the departing point for ferry to Miyajima. On a tight schedule, you can do Hiroshima and Miyajima in a day from Kyoto if you start early and do not mind getting back to Kyoto late in the evening.

For train schedule, you can plan it using this:

www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Singapore
Level Contributor
236 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

It might be bit rush. Miyajima needs a full day.

Mentioned in this post
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

Both of these places require a day by themselves, it would be too rushed to do both.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

However, if this is your one-time chance to see both Hiroshima and Miyajima, do it.

Take a very short cab ride from Hiroshima station to the Peace Park. Here is their web site for hours and location:

http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/top_e.html

Finish by noon easy and head back to Hiroshima station in a cab. Take the local train (about 30 minutes) to the Miyajima ferry, a 10 minute ferry ride, and you're on Miyajima for lunch. Wander for several hours, back to Hiroshima station, and take a late train back to Kyoto. It's totally doable.

Yes, of course both places are worthy of more time, but even a short visit is worth it if that's all you have.

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

One day for both places in one day is fine. I just did it this week. You may feel a bit hurried but you will have a chance to experience some really interesting and compelling sightseeing. I'll be posting pictures of the A-bomb dome and Miyajima in the next fee weeks and will provide a link here.

Personally, I find Kyoto to be over-developed, crowded and overrun by tourists. The influx of development and concrete spoils much of the historic splendor of the place. In many ways I find the infrastructure and development to be similar to Tokyo. The US city it most reminds me of is Boston where you might see some historical site such as a grave yard from the Revolutionary War right next to some modern office buildings. The Ministry of Construction appears to have had their way most of the time in Kyoto. That's just my opinion and it may sound cynical but I believe it's pretty accurate based on what I've observed in the past.

Mentioned in this post
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

I recommend you view the video and familiarize yourself on how to get around & where/what to eat in Hiroshima. Also Miyajima & other places.

http://www.japan-guide.com/a/video.html?3

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

Thanks to all for the advice. This is my first trip to Japan and is very last minute so haven't had much time to plan. I have only 6 nights, 2 in Tokyo, 3 in Kyoto and my last in Narita ready for my early flight back home...I think i will try to get to Hiroshima and Miyajima. Although it may be rushed i may not have the opportunity to visit these places otherwise. I may get the train to arrive into Hiroshima for 1001. Is there any advantage to visiting Hiroshima or Miyajima fisrt? I will be there on Sunday 22 Feb, does anyone know if my ferry or train options between Hiroshima-Miyajima will be limited with it being a Sunday?

Thanks

Jo

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,215 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

For the ferry connection, I don't think visiting Miyajima on a Sunday will create any problem. There are 2 services, one run by JR which you can ride for free if you are holding a JR rail pass. If I remember correctly, the last ferry back to the mainland is around 22.20.

Ideally it is best to be in Miyajima during high tide so that the shrine and the off-shore torii seem to be floating on water. For the update tide condition, you can take a look here:

http://tinyurl.com/5nmt47

Even if you can't be there during high tide, try to stay in Miyajima after dusk when the island is beautifully lit up. That means it is better to visit Hiroshima in the morning and going to Miyajima in the afternoon. BTW, to save a bit, try to have your lunch in Hiroshima. Restaurants in Miyajima are mostly expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Miyajima
Miyajima
4,139 Reviews
Hatsukaichi, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

Ok thanks. I looked at the tide schedule and it looks like high tide is after sunset which is unfortunate.

2009-02-22 05:04 JST Moonrise

2009-02-22 06:48 JST Sunrise

2009-02-22 08:41 JST 3.04 meters High Tide

2009-02-22 14:39 JST 1.23 meters Low Tide

2009-02-22 15:20 JST Moonset

2009-02-22 18:00 JST Sunset

2009-02-22 20:12 JST 2.74 meters High Tide

2009-02-23 02:38 JST 0.25 meters Low Tide

PA, USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima

i recommend going to Miyashima during the high tide , too. we were there in 2007, first we got there during low tide. it was nice to be able to walk to the "gate".but we spend a night in Hiroshima, and we went back to Miyashima next morning. i had to see the shrine flooting in water! it's beautifull.

and the deers are so cute and entertaining! they'll try to get your food, maps, anything. be carefull!

Mentioned in this post
Hiroshima
Hiroshima