We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mdj
columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

taking the nozomi from Hiroshima on our way to Kyoto - what is the name of the station we want to get off for the Himeji Castle?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,524 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

It's Himeji station, but not all nozomi trains stop there. Check on hyperdia.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,524 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

I should have said only a few nozomi trains stop there-- 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening. All Hikari stop there.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

Use www.hyperdia.com to see which trains to take (click the "English" button in the top right) to make sure you're on one that stops at Himeji Station. You'll exit to the North (you can see the castle from the station). If you're planning on going to Engyoji Temple the bus for there leaves just to your right as you leave the station. That same bus will also take you to the castle if you don't want to walk.

John W.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

Thanks for this local knowledge. I wasn't sure about this. I'll be very short on time in December but I wanted to make a quick stop and check out the castle and would like to minimize my walking when I'm there so I was planning on using a cab but if a bus is leaving in a timely manner then it's an option.

<<<That same bus will also take you to the castle if you don't want to walk.>>>

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,524 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

It's a very short cab ride, about 5 minutes and 660 yen. You'll be at the castle before you can find the bus stop.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

OK, thank you. I am planning a 2- or 3-day side trip and will have to make every stop a condensed one if you get my drift.

Friday night - Tokyo-->Hiroshima

Saturday morning- Hiroshima-->Nishikicho (small village near Iwakuni)

Sunday - hopefully a free day in Kansai

The problem is, I don't know how long I'll be in Nishikicho. It could be a few hours or it could be much longer than that. I need to be back in Tokyo by Monday afternoon to meet someone who is flying in. So, depending on my schedule, I'll have a green pass so I wanted to stop this time in Himeji, Osaka and Kyoto. If I'm running late Sunday night (most likely) I'll stay in Kansai or Nagoya and take the first train out in the morning, otherwise, I'll take the last Hikari back to Tokyo on Sunday night.

I'm not a history buff or into culture that much but I wanted to get a close up view of Himeji, Osaka and Nijo castles while I'm in the area, on my own time (as opposed to on a business trip) and when I have the pass and can take short Shinkansen stints without fare penalties. I'm not budget constrained so cabs are preferred over the bus but if one is leaving and it's right there, I'll usually ride the bus (as a train buff, I also like buses, especially the transmission systems on Japanese ones) so there is motivation to ride it to observe the driver instead of the taxi.

<<<It's a very short cab ride, about 5 minutes and 660 yen. You'll be at the castle before you can find the bus stop.>>>

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

>>I'm not a history buff or into culture that much but I wanted to get a close up view of Himeji, Osaka and Nijo castles while I'm in the area, on my own time (as opposed to on a business trip) and when I have the pass and can take short Shinkansen stints without fare penalties. I'm not budget constrained so cabs are preferred over the bus but if one is leaving and it's right there, I'll usually ride the bus (as a train buff, I also like buses, especially the transmission systems on Japanese ones) so there is motivation to ride it to observe the driver instead of the taxi.<<

Ditto that a taxi might be easier and quicker. If you do take a cab and have the time, have them drop you off at Senhime Shrine which is a few blocks west of the castle. Climb the little hill for some nice views of the castle and the surrounding area. It's easy enough to walk from there to the castle (ten minutes or so); go up one side of the hill and down the other.

If you like trains (and again if you have the time) you might take the Sanyo line from Himeji to Akashi and pick up the Shinkansen there. That line curves away towards the coast and then reconnects with the JR line near Nishi Akashi. You've probably seen similar scenery before, but I find the Sanyo trains to be more... homey. There's also an old monorail in Himeji; you can see the tracks like new, pathetic aqueducts hovering over parts of the city. It started at the station and ended at Tegarayama, where they still have some of the old cars, beautifully preserved; I'm not sure if the public can view them, but you might inquire if you're interested. There's a video on YouTube.com (search for Tegarayama); I can't get the link right now (the network here at work restricts YouTube) but can later.

John W.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

John,

Thanks for the great local knowledge. I am making notes right now regarding this. The biggest annoyance I have when in Japan is looking back on all the time I waste by not being adequately prepared. Your advice is perfect for what I'd like to do. I just picked up a new SLR plus a long lens so I wanted to try it out and the hillside view sounds like a perfect venue.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

Route246,

No problem. God knows I've spent enough time wandering around Himeji; glad the knowledge helps out a bit.

I was wrong about the search for the monorail; it's found under Himeji Monorail. Evidently it's a series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yiEjHALHcI

John W.

syd australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nozomi from hiroshima to himeji castle

Is your suggestion to take a taxi from the train station to Himeji Castle rather than the bus (or was there another castle called Engyoji Temple)? There will be 4 of us travelling together, will one cab be sufficient?