We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skiing on a day trip

Which Sapporo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
8 posts
Save Topic
Skiing on a day trip

Hi. We'll be in Sapporo for the first time for 3 days in mid-January. We need some ideas input from you guys. Since it'll be just a short trip, we'll have to omit many places including Hakodate and Noboribetsu.

As a day trip, are there any anywhere else interesting to visit besides Otaru?

Also, we have two teenagers who wants to do some skiing although they have never skied before.I would love to go to NIseko but do not have the luxury of time to do so. I have checked around and found 2 ski ground which are about 30 minutes away, Bankei and Moiwayama. Just wondering if anyone knows which of the two has got beautiful scenery. I just love to take great outdoor photos. Where can we purchase ski package?

Anything else that you wish to recommend? Thanks in advance.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skiing on a day trip

Hi,

Really if they have never skie before it would be a good idea to at least book a 2 hour lesson - otherwise they won't be skiing at all, just falling around with sticks and poles and getting cold and tired. NOT fun.

I suggest booking a two hour class with a teacher at Teine Highland/Olympia - they have English speaking instructors. Teine is about 15 mins by JR train f rom Sapporo, then the bus up to the ski area is another 30 mins - or you can catch buses directly from Sapporo. There are ski packages from the hotels etc.

Teine also has amazing views over the city and the plain, and even out to the sea....

Amanda

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skiing on a day trip

sapporo-teine.com/snow/lang/en/attraction/

skiing or snow shoe experience!!

Kuala Lumpur...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Skiing on a day trip

Thanks Amanda. Teine looks fun enough.

Since Teine is just 22 mins away from Otaru, say by the time we are done at Teine at about 4.00 pm, if we were to shoot off to Otaru from there, would anything else, e.g. Sakaimachi Dori, Sankaku Market, Music Box Museum, etc still be open since it would probably be dark by then?

By the way, what time do the average stores and departmental stores are open until during winter?

Also, I hardly see anyone mentioned this before in anywhere but have anyone heard before a place called Dynasty Ski resort?

http://dynasty-resort.jp/

Thanks again.

Kuala Lumpur...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Skiing on a day trip

Hello, Amanda or anyone who could provide answers to the inquiries below.

>>>Since Teine is just 22 mins away from Otaru, say by the time we are done at Teine at about 4.00 pm, if we were to shoot off to Otaru from there, would anything else, e.g. Sakaimachi Dori, Sankaku Market, Music Box Museum, etc still be open since it would probably be dark by then?

By the way, what time do the average stores and departmental stores are open until during winter?

This may sound silly, but does it rain in winter? Do we need to bring umbrellas or raincoats?

Also, do sports sneakers and cotton socks inside sounds okay in snow condition?

Thanks.

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skiing on a day trip

Looks like there's no ski school at Dynasty. However, there are ski lessons on the internet that you could view first, although that would be inadequate when compared to a ski school class in English.

Rain can happen unexpectedly, you can buy a very cheap umbrella locally.

You need waterproof shoes or boots in snow conditions. Your feet would freeze in sneakers. Hiking boots are a good choice, but a solid waterproof shoe would do.

Edited: 1:30 am, December 10, 2013
Kuala Lumpur...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Skiing on a day trip

Blutek, thanks for your comments.

I have decided on Teine since it is on the way to Otaru. Like Amanda said, they offer ski lessons there.

Looks like I'll have to get myself a new shoe then.

One more thing, for bottom, is jeans OK to walk around the city and also to go up the mountains to play snow? Do we also need to wear something underneath e.g. thermal or tights (for women)? Or it has to be something made for windproof like polyester or nylon?

Thanks again.

Edited: 7:45 pm, December 10, 2013
Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,485 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skiing on a day trip

In town it's okay. However, on the mountain, the problem is getting clothes, sneakers and woolen gloves, wet which will then get very cold. You should be able to rent most items, including a jacket and pants, if needed at the resort. You will also probably need at least a thermal underware top and fleece jumper.

Kuala Lumpur...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Skiing on a day trip

Awesome advice. Blutek, thanks!

You just helped me cleared some of the doubts that I have had.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skiing on a day trip

Hi there

Yes - you could go from Teine back down to the JR station and get on a train for Otaru. Most of the shops are open until 6 or 7 pm.

I'm guessing too - that if this is your first day skiing - if you have a two hour lesson in the monring, then lunch and another hour or two on your own...by about 3 pm you'll be tired and ready to go and do something else. Skiing is fun...but you will be using muscles you don't usually try out!

Amanda

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Skiing on a day trip

Walking around in jeans is not a problem is "snow country," but you won't want to play in the snow. Jeans soaks up any type of wetness. You could go to Uniqlo somewhere and pick up a water resistant, lined pair of pants. "Warm lined cargo pants" would probably work nicely in the cold. You could, of course, play in the snow with rental ski/snowboard wear.

Hokkaido is COLD. Be sure to wear layers!