We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extend holiday in Sapporo?

Which Sapporo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Extend holiday in Sapporo?

I will be going on a 7 day guided tour package with my husband and 2 teens 15 and 17 from 12 December. This is our first visit. Our itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 and 2-

Singapore to Haneda to Chitose. Arrive morning to Otaru Canal. Otaru Music Box. Proceed to Hoshino Resort Tomamu.

Stay at Resort.

Day 3: Hoshino Resort

Stay at Resort.

Day 4: Photostop at Lake Toya. Mount Showa. Step inot Norboribetsu Date Jidaimura, theme park. Jigokudani.

Stay at onsen resort at Norboribetsu.

Day 5:Drive to Sapporo. Beer factory. Visit Mitsui OUtlet Park Sapporo Kitahiroshima. Stop by at Ishiya Chocolate Factory. Visit Odori Park. Visit Tanukikoji Shopping Arcade.

Stay Overnite at Suskino.

Day 6:Free day in Sapporo city.

Day 7:Fly home.

I am considering extending my stay in Sapporo for 2 nights. I will be grateful for suggestions on places I can visit. We are keen on scenery and places on interest, rather than shopping. We are OK to take day trips as well. However, it appears that our tour may have covered most of the usual places of interest.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extend holiday in Sapporo?

Frankly your tour has covered most of the main tourist attractions in Hokkaido. You even have a free day in Sapporo. If you were to extend another 2 days, you may find yourself bored in Sapporo so I would suggest getting out. Consider Hakodate or Kushiro to see the beautiful cranes. But note that the trains are not frequent so you have to plan your itinerary properly.

singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extend holiday in Sapporo?

thanks for your reply. I was also googling and checking the attractions on internet, but unable to zero in on anything in particular to extend our stay.

By the way, any recommendations on good food in Sapporo? Probably good seafood is plentiful - however one of us is allergic to seafood (except for fish). So i wonder if anyone has recommendations for restaurants with both seafood as well as meats - beef, pork, chicken is fine!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extend holiday in Sapporo?

Actually Sapporo is more famous for its ramens. You could try all the different types of ramens of Hokkaido.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extend holiday in Sapporo?

You're joking right? Aren't you?

Besides a couple of major tourist spots popular with commercial tour operators you have barely touched anything in Hokkaido! I think it's actually pretty sad if they spend a whole day taking you to shops & outlets.

You are not googling hard enough.

Hokkaido is a magnifent place known for its natural environment & Ainu culture. It has some great train journeys and hospitable friendly people. You really need to get away from the tourist bus.

There is so much to see & do. Star gazing and the astronomical observatory in Rikubetsu. Boat cruise near the wilderness areas.

Winter activities - ski, snow shoe walking & snowmobile, fishing, hiking, ice-skating.

Asahikawa - Asahikawa Zoo is impressive; historic Hakodate it's fort, Russian church, Trappistine Convent , Akan National Park; Akan Ainu village, Shiretoko Peninsula; Daisetsuzan National Park, see volanoes, see the beautiful lakes, as mentioned Kushiro's birds & wetlands; Kitahama Swan Park; Abashiri - Museum of Northern People, the Prison Museum; Shikotsu-Toya National Park - Noboribetsu has the wonderful national park. There are art galleries and museums all over Hokkaido. There are about 100 different onsens. Shiraoi Ainu Museum www.ainu-museum.or.jp/en/study/eng01.html

http://en.visit-hokkaido.jp/

Edited: 9:08 am, September 18, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,793 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extend holiday in Sapporo?

There is indeed quite a bit more to Hokkaido than what your tour covered. However, like any other tour group, it's hard to expect them to take you to hard-to-reach places within a limited time. Even with your two additional days, it seems impossible to reach most of the places described by Elly's response except Asahikawa and maybe Daisetsuzan National Park.

Edited: 10:06 am, September 18, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extend holiday in Sapporo?

I would recommend the Asahikawa zoo for the penguin march. The penguins are so adorable. However just note that Asahikawa is considered one of the coldest cities in Japan. Last year, I endured a -28 deg celcius temperature in Asahikawa. But I still enjoyed the zoo tremendously.

singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extend holiday in Sapporo?

Hi Elly,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

As my time of visit is in December, would it be feasible to go sight-seeing to national parks, boat cruises in the wilderness, see volcanoes? Would not the lakes have frozen over, the flora and fauna covered in snow??

Excuse my ignorance, but as someone from the tropics, that is the imagery which comes to mind in relation to scenery in temperate countries during winter-time. Is this not the case?

As for winter activities, my itinerary includes 2 nights stay at ski resort, so we will have access to same, I should think.

Generally, I notice a lot of forummers advise that winter time sight-seeing is different from summer/autumn time.

The Asahikawa Zoo did interest me, but I thought it would be quite a journey from Sapporo. How could we get to it from Sapporo and what is the travelling time like?

singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extend holiday in Sapporo?

Hi Hotspot,

When we visited Philip Island/Melbourne a couple of years back, we experienced "penguins march" from the sea to the beach. Eye-opening and quite an experience as these are born free penguins, not zoo-kept.

Not sure how spectacular is the Asahikawa Zoo penguin march (these are penguins kept within the zoo?) ,but if the temperature is -28 degree Celsius, quite sure I will give it a miss.

Edited: 6:44 am, September 19, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extend holiday in Sapporo?

Yes, these are penguins kept in the zoo. I guess if you have seen the penguin march on Philip Island, then you can give the zoo a miss. And yes, the temperatures in Asahikawa is nothing I would want to experience again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Extend holiday in Sapporo?

If the penguin walk and the zoo train don’t interest you maybe you can give Asahikawa a miss and consider Hakodate. Ideally spend a night there for a more relaxing stay especially for the popular night view on top of Hakodate-yama. The following thread has some general sightseeing suggestions in Hakodate.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+84650

During your time of visit, you can see some beautiful illumination in the annual winter event of Hakodate Christmas Fantasy.

http://www.hakodatexmas.com/

Another unique thing to see during winter is the monkey onsen.

http://www.hako-eco.com/