We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saporo and Hokkaido

Which Sapporo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Saporo and Hokkaido

Hie

I'm new in this forum thread. Seeking advice for family's Japan trip later this year.

1. We're planning to go on the mid of November, which is Autumn season in Hokkaido. Are there anything to do or sight seeing during the period of time ?

2. As we intend to do the tour on our own, is it easy to get around the areas on our own ? We don't speak Japanese.

3. Are transportation easily accessible between the areas ? We're also planning to visit Asahikawa.

4. Lodgings, are there any traditional Japanese inns with onsen near Saporo ?

Thank you

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,826 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saporo and Hokkaido

1. Hokkaido's main attraction is nature (and natural food/drinks products, like sushi, crab, Genghis Khan BBQ, milk, beer, whiskey). Autumn colors in the hills by the lakes would be nice.

2. Hokkaido might be a bit more difficult to get around if you don't speak Japanese than other parts of Japan, as it covers a wide area. It's largely rural (at some places you might find more bears than people when you'd like to ask directions). That said, I see Singaporeans everywhere in Hokkaido, and many won't speak much Japanese except hello, thank you, and good-bye (which should be enough). Check out these internet sites:

http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1101.html

http://en.visit-hokkaido.jp/

jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/hokkaido/

Many major tourist destinations have English tourist information website. Please Google search for each destination.

3.Chitose Airport-Sapporo-Otaru; Sapporo-Asahikawa; Sapporo-Noboribetsu-Onuma-Hakodate are very accessible by train. Biei/Furano can also be reached by train without much problem, if you plan ahead. However, as Hokkaido's main attraction is nature, you are recommended to visit places like Lake Toya, Asahidake/Sounkyo out of the cities by bus as well. Renting a private car can be a good idea if you have an international license, if you like to drive, and if it's before snow season.

4.As Hokkaido belonged largely to the Ainu tribespeople until the 19th century, I hesitate to call things traditionally Japanese. There are of course neo-traditional hotel ryokans with onsen bath and dinner served in your room if you get out of the cities. Even in Sapporo many business type hotels have onsen bath, but many people would go elsewhere, like Noboribetsu onsen or Toyako onsen. Jozankei onsen is nearest to Sapporo. If you are going for a day to Jozankei onsen, Mori No Uta's buffet & onsen package with free shuttle ride from the station is quite recommended.

Edited: 8:58 am, May 09, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,826 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saporo and Hokkaido

Asahikawa is not bad but is a bit boring city; there is nothing much to offer to visitors apart from its Ramen noodles and Asahiyama Zoo in the suburbs. Unless you need to stay there for transit reasons, I suggest staying around Asahidake/Sounkyo area, or Biei/Furano (Biei/Furano is also covers a quite wide area and the town centers aren't so interesting; visit the farms and natural surroundings).

singapore
Level Contributor
342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Saporo and Hokkaido

Hi Yobeekool

Thank you very much for your kind and informative input.

I have been reading some other threads, these are some ideas i have in mind.

Time : mid November

Duration : 8 days

Person : 2 adult + 10 yrs old son

Things we'd like to experience :

- winter cruise something like rafting

- hike with snowshoe

- ryokan w onsen ( yr suggestions sounds good. are there other onsen with good view / )

- see autumn leaves

- fish market where i could eat fresh and nice sushi too ?

- Matsumae castle

- most importantly, we'd like to explore the wild, hopefully to "catch" some deers and other wild animals.

- some town area ( probably Saporro )

Where are the recommended place where we can go in order to experience the above ?

Is it possible to experience all the above with the kind of timing of mid November ?

What would be yr suggestions for us to get around ?

Thank you very much.

4. Re: Saporo and Hokkaido

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 11, 2014