We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I get a little help with the weather forecast?

Which Sapporo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,312 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Can I get a little help with the weather forecast?

We're going to be in Sapporo early next week (week of 11/18/2012) and have reserved a rental car from Chitose airport. My aunt contacted my father last night about the weather forecast and she warned of severe winter conditions, snow, etc. and suggested that I don't drive... but weather forecasts I've accessed here in the U.S. (like weather.com) all forecast temp's in the 40's with rain.

I'm trying to figure out the contradictory reports... can someone with access to Japanese weather stations/reports (I can't read Japanese) help me out? I live in Michigan and am used to driving in winter, so a little sleet and snow isn't going to be an issue.

TIA!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,703 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I get a little help with the weather forecast?

Japan Meteorological Agency weather forecast in English

"As part of Japan's government, the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) implements its services with the following ultimate goals in compliance with the Act for Establishment of the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) and the Meteorological Service Act"

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/yoho/

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,312 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I get a little help with the weather forecast?

Thanks, the site confirmed all the forecasts I've been seeing on American sites.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I get a little help with the weather forecast?

I think if you live in Michigan - the snow that'll fall here next week won't be any problem at all. It isn't the kind that's going to stay for the rest of winter. A bit slushy etc I should think. Will soon turn to rain.

Of course, if you are heading over mountain passes and into the ski resort areas...then a different situation early and late in the day...

I live in Sapporo and I haven't changed my tires yet...don't plan to either for a few more weeks

amanda

4. Re: Can I get a little help with the weather forecast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, December 16, 2013