We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Moiwa - ropeway shuttle bus and tram/street car

Which Sapporo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Moiwa - ropeway shuttle bus and tram/street car

6 weeks and counting! Some last minute questions.

1. When catching the tram/street car how do you purchase your tickets. I know the cost of my ticket just not sure how to go about purchasing

2. I read there is a free shuttle bus between Ropeway Iriguichi and Mt Moiwa ropeway. I have had a look on google maps street view and can't seem to see where the shuttle bus picks up. It doesn't look like too long a walk but it will be late december by the time we get there and I am guessing will be cold. We were hoping to go up the mountain around sunset so not sure about the walk. Considered the walk back since it was downhill but if we do go at dusk it will be dark coming back.

Thank you in advance to any replies.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Moiwa - ropeway shuttle bus and tram/street car

1. You'd pay to the streetcar driver at the time of getting off. It's just like a bus with tracks. Hopefully they will stick to the plan of renovating and extending to Sapporo Station and elsewhere sometime in the upcoming years.

2. I don't remember a shuttle bus between the tram stop and the ropeway station. It's just a five-ten minutes walk. It's cold, but then, you are coming to Hokkaido in Winter, you can't really avoid cold weather. Theoretically you can take taxi from metro Horohirabashi station to the ropeway station. Which is not really worth doing, as you'd have to stand in cold to catch a taxi for a while.

As you know, walking after dark is not a big problem in Japan. There will be tourists like you doing the same walk. Sapporo isn't dangerous as long as you go into the mountain and meet a bear.

I think there was a bus from the top to the station but you'd probably prefer to take the fun Gondola back.

I might suggest getting and carrying a Thermo pot in which you can keep hot coffee or tea inside. Also, at drug stores, you might buy Hokkairo, which is a (magical) disposable pocket warmer (a small paper bag with magnetic sand which will become hot by rubbing and shuffling).

Edited: 5:22 am, November 03, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Moiwa - ropeway shuttle bus and tram/street car

Hokkairo (disposable hand warmer):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_warmer

www.hakugen.co.jp/products/item.php?bid=24

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Moiwa - ropeway shuttle bus and tram/street car

Thanks Yobeekool. So I get on the tram and take a ticket from machine??? Then pay the ¥170 as I exit the bus.

I'm not worried about safety as we've traveled to Japan many a time and love how safe it is. I've caught a few buses but always had a travel pass and never had to buy a ticket.

So excited about the cold weather. We are in the 30s in Cairns so looking forward to escaping the heat.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Moiwa - ropeway shuttle bus and tram/street car

I would like to escape to Cairns from here, it's getting a bit too cold.

I think you had to just pay at the exit, as the tram is operated with a single fares system, as far as I remember (take a token if you spot a machine spitting one out).

I hope you'll have a nice time.

5. Re: Mt Moiwa - ropeway shuttle bus and tram/street car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 10, 2013