We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapporo Day Trip

Johor
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Sapporo Day Trip

I will in Sapporo on mid of December for 3 days 2 night after my trip to niseko and noboribetsu.

So is anyone can advise that should i get day tour or free and easy myself with my husband 2 person only.

My interest is maybe sight seeing , eating nice food( example Beer garden, seafood), OTARU day trip and shopping ,

If gets day trip is better to book on internet before i go japan or when i check in hotel then i search at the information counter? if free and easy if take train or bus, how to pay? need pass?

and my stay in sapporo is at JR Nikko Tower hotel.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapporo Day Trip

I suggest doing things on your own. You don't have to be on a tour bus.

Day1: Ishiya Chocolate Factory (Miyanosawa station, metro Tozai Line); Maruyama Zoo (polar bears etc) (Maruyama Koen station and walk, bus, or taxi); Odori Park (Odori station) and Clocktower (small; often listed as Japan's 3 top disappoints but rather cute and mildly interesting); bus or taxi to Sapporo Beer Museum and Ario Shopping Center. Bus or taxi to JR Sapporo Station. Stellar Place, Daimaru, or Esta for shopping and dining.

JR Nikko Tower Hotel has a nice onsen spa facility with a good view.

In the evening, you might walk down the underground passage to Odori then Susukino, and have a hot Ramen noodle at the Ramen Yokocho alley.

Day2: Otaru Day. Take a train (section between Zenibako and Asari goes right along the coast). If you are interested, change at Otaru for a train to nearby town of Yoichi for the award wininng Nikka Whiskey's distilleries.

www.nikka.com/eng/distilleries/index.html

In Otaru, first go and see Nishiki Goten (Kyu Aoyama Bettei), the Herring Mansion, which is a bit far away (take a taxi) http://www.otaru-kihinkan.jp/eng.html

You might then go to the Otaru Museum (two locations, the one with the locomotives perhaps).

Next, see the canal sites, Orguel and Glass Museum, the Bank of Japan.

In the evening, return to Sapporo. Perhaps a Jingisukan barbecue at Daruma (several locations; expect long queues if not at the opening hours).

Day3: Kaitaku Kinenkan (Historical Museum of Hokkaido) and the park nearby (nearest station: Shinrin-koen: 20 minutes walk; Shin-Sapporo then taxi). Bus services to Kaitakuno-mura (開拓の村):

http://www.hmh.pref.hokkaido.jp/

It's a bit far away but recommended for the general understanding of Hokkaido and its place in Japanese history (ethnology of Ainu people; colonization of the Ainu; modernization against the Russian imperial powers; frontier show-case and experimental ground in Japan's colonial administration; war and decline of mining industry).

Nanda (難陀) in is a popular sea food all-you-can eat, in Susukino.

(Consult the staff or people around for what to cook or eat raw)

Address: Minami-5 Nishi-2 Cyber City Building, B2F (北海道札幌市中央区南五条西2 サイバーシティビル B2F)

The Buffet on top of Daimaru and Sky-J in Nikko Tower Hotel are good all-you-can eat restaurants.

Sushi is a difficult question. There are different places for different budget.

Hanamaru in Stellar Place or Toppie in Esta are relatively cheap and satisfying places, although they do get crowded.

For a more serious affair, with prior reservation and designated budget around 10,000-15,000 per person, you might try these places:

Wakichi: tabelog.com/hokkaido/A0101/A010105/1000645/

Wakatake: tabelog.com/hokkaido/A0101/A010105/1025931/

Sushi-zen: tabelog.com/hokkaido/A0101/A010105/1000003/

Arima: tabelog.com/hokkaido/A0101/A010103/1000457/

But really, any sushi restaurant with appropriate budget would be better than average in Tokyo.

Edited: 4:31 am, November 03, 2012
Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sapporo Day Trip

>Beer garden, seafood

got an easy question! But, not seafood is available.

sapporo-bier-garten.jp/foreign/english.php

The Hokkaido's greatest food there is a lamb meat BBQ over the helmet called “Genghis Khan.” Sapporo is the base of Sapporo beer company, which used to compete with Milwaukee and Munich.

Otaru is probably the best place to enjoy sea food: they have Otaru Sushi Ya(Bar) street. There are about 100 sushi bars there. Tough choice?

members.shaw.ca/ilovehokkaido/otaru.html

www.best-of-sapporo-japan.com/sushi-bars.html

Road and streets are slippy: you will need to buy sonowman's shoes.

Please study one day pass listed in this page:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5306.html

Otaru-Sapporo one day pass may be your choice. Otherwise you will drop coins in the slot.

Edited: 5:12 am, November 03, 2012
Johor
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapporo Day Trip

Hi yobeekool,

thank you very much for your advice . I will look into it.

Hi Sanfran1946,

Thank you for your advice, I will want go to enjoy the genkishan seafood and mutton BBQ.

For the one day pass, Is it the combination one day pass? Need to buy on line?

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapporo Day Trip

how about this? I cant buy!

" Sapporo-Otaru Welcome Pass (1500 yen)

Unlimited use of JR trains between Sapporo and Otaru and Sapporo's three subway lines on one calendar day. Note that a round trip Sapporo-Otaru by regular tickets costs 1240 yen alone. Available to foreign tourists only at JR desks in Sapporo Station and Shin-Chitose Airport. "

Are you gonna lose money? it depends on where you will stay in Sapporo.

Johor
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapporo Day Trip

HI Sanfran 1946, thank you for your advise on the bus .

it helps me a lot. and i also dun want to loose money.hehe

6. Re: Sapporo Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 09, 2013