We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

malaysia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

hi there, can anyone suggest a free an easy driving trip in hokkaido in beginning of nov 2011.

we plan to rent a car(could anyone suggest a car rental in hokkaido)?

no specific place to visit in hokkaido as we ever joined a hokkaido guided tour in 2005, this time would just like to enjoy the nice and outdoor onsen and ryokan(budget usd$150-250) as well as the food (ramen,seafood...)

thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

First of all, note that early Nov may not be the best of time for a visit to Hokkaido. Autumn foliage season has ended and winter has not arrived, hence too early for any winter festivals or activities. But if it is the only time that you can travel, you can still enjoy Hokkaido despite the lack of any seasonal highlights.

For a short visit of 7 days, consider staying around Sapporo if you use New Chitose Airport as your entry and departure point. Sapporo is worth a stay for its good Hokkaido food. Otaru is a short ride from Sapporo. To enjoy a scenic coastal drive, go west from Otaru to Shakotan Peninsula all the way to Cape Kamui. For an onsen experience plus some sightseeing on volcanic activities, go down south from Sapporo to Toya-ko and Noboribetsu. If you still have time to spare and want a bit more, consider either going further south to Hakodate or north to Asahikawa.

As for car rental, though it sometimes costs more Toyota is very good. Their cars are mostly equipped with English GPS. Tocoo is a popular budget rental agency. The following agency also offers a budget rate which is competitive to that of Tocoo.

http://shiretoko-t.com/en/

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

By purchasing your rental car, onsen accommodation or maybe your domestic ticket separately will be very costly.

You can consider purchasing them all as a package. The following are some leads you can look into to help you plan your 7days free & easy trip in Hokkaido.

http://www.tokyotravelpal.com/hokkaido.htm

http://www.hokkaidoexperience.com

http://www.bfh.jp/en/

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,850 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

Tocoo usually has good deals for rental cars:

www2.tocoo.jp/?file=rentcar_inbound/main

You could potentially get good savings though if you find a package with air and hotel.

Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

We are staying at

SUSUKINO GREEN HOTEL 12Chome Minami 4 Jyo Chuo-Ku Sapporo City Japan

Sapporo,Japan-064-0804

Pls advise me which outlet should i book and pick up the car if we plan to get from ORIX RENT A CAR at Sapporo. Pls reply SOON.

Sapporo Ekimae Branch Sapporo North Exit Branch

Sapporo Chuo Branch ◆Sapporo Oodori Branch

◆Sapporo grand hotel counter

New Sapporo Branch

Sapporo
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

Hi!

November is not a high season for sightseeing.

But we locals are thinking the chilly weather in November

is great for enjoying onsen. Bathing in an outdoor hotspring viewing snow blanketed

mountain tops is superb. In a place like Niseko where multiple onsens are gathering, you could

experience different onsens within a day. Isn't it nice?

November is also the season of "Shishamo"(willow leaf fish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shishamo) .

This fish can be caught only along the central-south coast of Hokkaido.

Though it is small and thin fish, unbelievably delicious. Because of low temperatures,

other seafoods taste great.

Further, because it is the off season, everywhere is uncrowded and fees are reasonable.

As for car rentals, English GPS equipped cars are available at these shops.

JAL and ANA have reasonable car rental package plans.

http://www.toyotarentacar.net/english/

http://www.nrh.co.jp/travel/en/index.html

Usually, the first snowfall comes in late October, so careful driving is recommended early in the morning or late at night because the road surfaces might be icy even if there is no snow.

malaysia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

thank you everyone for the usefull info..may i know how far is to drive from saporo to niseko and thinking of going niseko for nice onsen after reading the comment by bywayhanako :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

The drive from Sapporo to Niseko is about 2.5 hrs

time-n-rd.jp/info/result.php…

For driving in Hokkaido, you can use the following route search site:

http://northern-road.jp/navi/eng/index.htm

Sapporo
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

Hi again,

Niseko can be accessed from Shin-Chitose Airport

by about two-hour drive. A shortcut is driving Route 453 along the south coast of Lake Shikotsu via Otaki through Route 276 to Niseko. This route goes through hilly areas and the traffic is low; there might be snow, so it would be better to get the latest road condition info. from a car rental shop.

Another route to Niseko is via Lake Toya though it will take more time than the Lake Shikotsu route (maybe three hours). If you don't mind the time, both routes are so scenic. There are nice onsens around Lake Toya, too.

You could see the English route map here:

…mlit.go.jp/zigyoka/z_doro/english/index.html

Refer to the driving info. page and download a Fly & Active brochure.

On page 26 you could see the route map around Chitose and Niseko.

http://www.niseko-ta.jp/en/

The calmness and chilly weather in November will make your

onsen experiences impressive.

malaysia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

thank you so much for all your contribution,u guys are amazing! really appreciated that..

i have come out with my rough iternanry for my 7 days hokkaido west driving tour...please advice..thank you :)

Day 1-3: Arrive at chitose airport at 9am.will take JR line to sapporo,will not take the car at chitose airport as

we do not need the car in sapporo city and thinking of the parking might be costly.

Hotel:Hotel Keihan Sapporo,2 nights

Day3-4:collect the car at sapporo in the morning and drive down to Ottaru and spend 4 hours there(not sure whether should i stay in ottaru?)continue our journey to niseko( as we are not going to ski but just wanna play with the snow and enjoy the hot spring at niseko area).knew that the journey from ottaru to niseko ski field is around 4 hours,is that worth for overnight or could anyone suggest any hot spring ryokan or hotel at niseko area as i am continuing my journey to noboribetsu the next day.

Day 4-5:driving to noboribetsu from niseko area.do i need 2 days to tour around lake toya and is there anything interesting beside lake toya.

hotel:Oyado Kiyomizuya or Kashoutei HANAYA (cant decide between this 2)

Day 5-7:driving to hakodate from noboribetsu.Do i need 2 days in hakodate?other than the night view and the morning market..is there anything that i miss out?please advice.

hotel:Hotel Kikuya or Hakodate Kokusai Hotel

Day 7:return my car at hakodate airport.

please feel free to suggest..hope to hear from u guys..thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: hokkaido 7 days driving free and easy trip

It is indeed wise not to drive in Sapporo. Subway is a convenient way to move around town. You can even consider not to drive in Otaru. Otaru has direct rail link with Sapporo and the town itself is best explored on foot.

The drive from Otaru to Niseko is just under 2 hrs, not 4. Niseko is a very popular winter destination but I have slight doubt about the snow condition in early Nov. The following webpage has a report on last year’s condition.

www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/niseko-now.php

There is also a webcam link which you can monitor the different areas when it comes to the time of travel.

www.niseko.ne.jp/en/livecamera/index.html

On a tight schedule Toya-ko and Noboribetsu can be done in a long day. 2 days will allow a more relax and in-depth exploration of the area. Besides the lake cruise or rental boat in Toya-ko, you can walk along the lake shore and take a look at all those interesting outdoor sculptures. For some panoramic view of the region take the ropeway up Usu-zan. There are a few observatories and viewpoints one of which will require a 40 min hike. At the foot of the ropeway station near Showa Shin-zan is a tourist oriented village which is worth a browse. There is a volcanic eruption chamber for a free of charge experience. Also worth a short drive inland from the lakeshore is the Nishiyama Crater Promenade where you can walk around to see those damaged bldgs and roads left untouched after the 2000 eruption. Unfortunately you will miss the daily evening firework in Toya-ko which ends on Oct 31. BTW, while driving from Niseko to Toya-ko stop by the Silo Lookout which has a beautiful panoramic view of the lake before coming into town.

In Hakodate besides the morning market and Hakodate-yama, Fort Goryokaku with the tower is considered a “must”. The Motomachi District has some unique European architecture. Also not to be missed is Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse and the surrounding coastal area. In the evening take a meal in one of the interesting yatai stalls in Daimon Yokocho. For another onsen experience Yunokawa Onsen is a popular choice in Hakodate. En-route from Toya-ko to Hakodate, consider stopping by Onuma Park and hopefully still get a last glimpse of autumn foliage. The park is a famous koyo destination during mid-late Oct.

Note that if you rent from either Sapporo or Otaru and return in Hakodate, there is an additional drop-off charge for the rental car.