We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Seasons or Shangri-La?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
313 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Four Seasons or Shangri-La?

We will be traveling to Hangzhou in early April. It will be me, my DH, his father and our three boys (10,10,11). We like to mix it up in terms of hotels from simpler establishments to more high end luxurious places. I have narrowed it down to these two hotels for us. I like the idea of the Shangri-La as it is so close to West Lake. We will be seeing the Impressions show. On the other hand, the service and cultural activities of the Four Seasons would be great for our group. Any advice as to which to book?

Thank you

Hangzhou, China
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Seasons or Shangri-La?

If you want to spend an unforgettable night in Hangzhou, Shangri-La is probably the best one around the west-lake, it is a classic hotel. Another super-comfy hotel near the west-lake is 'Kaiyue', it is a modern one.

In terms of ‘Siji (Four-season)’ hotel, I am not sure because I never been there before. After searching the web, the location of Shangri-La and Kaiyue is better than Siji, but seems that the service is above average.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,388 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Seasons or Shangri-La?

The best location and view is Hyatt by West Lake, with shopping and eating at hotel and behind the hotel, it is The Top Spot. Shangri-La by now is an old hotel in a quiet further away location, down the hill across the street is shopping mall full of tourist shops and the Impression show. That show is just one event in your visit, no reason to stay across the street from the show. For fun and activities for family with kids, Hyatt is the center and top spot by far.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Seasons or Shangri-La?

Got to agree with mac on this. With kids, I think you'd want to be closer in to the action side of West Lake, it's more interesting even if less peaceful. Shangri-La and Four Seasons are on the northwest corner and while peaceful, maybe more romantic, etc., not sure if it's the best spot with active boys. To some extent it depends on your touring plan and how you'll be getting around--if with a private driver, then maybe these two are OK since you won't have to rely on public transport. Of the two, I'd choose the Four Seasons--Shangri-La is a bit tired now and people have very uneven quality of experiences there. For hotels on the more active northeast corner, Hyatt is good also Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale. I don't know the Kaiyue.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
547 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Seasons or Shangri-La?

Kaiyue 凯说 is the Chinese name for the Hyatt.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
547 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Seasons or Shangri-La?

Oops, typo, wrong radical. Kaiyue is 凯悦。

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Seasons or Shangri-La?

Totally different grade. Four Seasons is much more expensive than Shangri la. I prefer Four Seasons, this is a classic garden style hotel with a fantastic outdoor swimming pool.......

7. Re: Four Seasons or Shangri-La?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, September 18, 2015