We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Needed for Hangzhou

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Advice Needed for Hangzhou

Hi All,

My friends and i (3 of us) will be traveling to Hangzhou from Shanghai. And i sincerely requesting assistance from all on the following:

1). I've been reading information on traveling to Hangzhou from Shanghai Hongqiao and came across that there are a few types of train that are serving that route, is it true? What's the difference between G Trains and D Trains? And may if i know roughly how much does G Trains and D Trains cost?

2) Which part of Hangzhou does the train stops? And how do i get to my hotel in West Lake area from the train station? By taxi? How much does it usually cost?

Thank you so much for your time and assistance.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
534 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Needed for Hangzhou

Regarding the types of trains, check this site: http://www.seat61.com/

Regarding the rain tschedule and prices, check this site: http://www.chinatrainguide.com/schedule/

Regarding the taxi, you can ask your hotel.

Edited: 4:34 am, June 15, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,327 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Needed for Hangzhou

D train is fast, G train is fastest, but it does not matter between HZ and SHA because the distance is short, 1 hour.

Hangzhou main train station in town, Hangzhou SOUTH station much further away, more time and taxi cost, it is more important to pick the right stations. If it takes 1 hour, that means it is nonstop. Taxi from Hangzhou station to West Lake hotel is about 20-30 minutes Do not recall taxi cost, not significant enough to remember.

G 1st class 96RMB, 2nd class 80RMB. D train 76/61 RMB.

Be sure to buy tickets in advance, bad idea to buy ticket when you travel, HZ ticketing office can be a mad house, the moment I walked into the giant ticketing hall and saw the huge crowd I knew I made a mistake. The good news was I was not the only one, many foreigners waited in lines for hours to try to buy tickets to Shanghai.

Secret note, there is a "Foreigner ticket window" hidden away on the left side of the station (as you face the station bldg.) no line. It is next to the room locals buy tickets from vending machines (Chinese ID required for those machines). If train is soldout, you can buy a "standing" ticket at same price, standing for one hour is not that bad, maybe very crowded, as was the case for us.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
461 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Needed for Hangzhou

take a taxi from train station to your hotel, it wont cost more than 25rmb if your hotel is really close to west lake.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice Needed for Hangzhou

Hi macbcmini,

Thank you so much, really appreciate it alot. The information given by your good self is so informative. So i believe i should travel to Hangzhou Main Station and grab a taxi from the station to my hotel in West Lake. I read on tripadvisor about the taxi queue at the station is quite horrible. Is that true?

Hi qin_shguide,

After reading your post, i think most probably i will grab a taxi then. Thank you so much.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
461 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice Needed for Hangzhou

yes, you are right, i go to hangzhou very often, and there is a long queue for taxi most of the time,( do bring a fan with you since it will be very hot to wait taxi there.) but there are also exception. so if you are lucky enough you can also get a taxi quickly.

6. Re: Advice Needed for Hangzhou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, July 28, 2013
7. Re: Advice Needed for Hangzhou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 29, 2014