We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

Which Hangzhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

Hi, I'm on a mid range budget and the prices for hotels on the lake are extremely high. Could anyone advise on where to stay in Hangzhou that will give easy access to the lake, other sites and transport. We'll be arriving by train from Shanghai and staying in Hangzhou for two nights.

Thanks.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

I have stayed at Wushanyi International Youth Hotel. Also Flower Inn. Both are near Lake side , Less than 30 mins walking distance to the West lake.

Highly recommend Wushanyi International Hotel, comfortable and also in the pedestrian old town area.

Check it out .

Happy Hangzhou.

Edited: 9:23 am, April 08, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

30 minutes is not close to West Lake. I saw some small Chinese hoetls by West Lake but did not take note, ctrip.com may have them on the map, usually small Chinese class hotels are not on Int'l hotel websites. I don't know what is mid range, Hangzhou is tourist town, hotels are more expensive than other cities.

Here are suggestions:

The best hotel at best lakeside location with best view and in central fashionable shopping area is HYATT, it is No.1 top choice. But too expensive for you, may want to try Dahua Hotel.

Dahua hotel is even closer to lake, it is right on the lake, a big Chinese hotel at lower prices, but not as fancy and no shopping next to hotel, but not far to walk to Hyatt. You cannot walk to lake directly even though hotel is by the lake, because hotel is blocked by fence to the lakeside where they are one million tourists walking pass everyday. It is located on the hottest West Lake tourist spot. Big Chinese restaurants.

http://www.dh-hotel.com/

Not available on most hotel booking sites, or too expensive on other sites, the best I found for this hotel is on eLong.

http://hotel.elong.net/hangzhou/31201005/

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

What is your budget? Up to how many RMB per night? Hangzhou is an expensive city, especially near West Lake.

Merchant Marco is a good hotel, moderately long walk or a short bus ride from the lake. Also just across the street from an airport shuttle bus stop. Rooms 500 or 600 per night, depending on type. I stayed there last year.

…ctrip.com/hotels/…

Edited: 11:35 pm, April 08, 2013
uk
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

Thanks, budget is around 500-600 rmb. Mostly want a hotel that will give me easy access to sites and lake and transport.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

The hotel I mentioned above (Merchant Marco) has a bus stop half a block away for one of the tourist bus lines (a "Y" bus.) Sorry, I can't remember which one. Makes it pretty easy to get to some of the main tourist destinations. Hangzhou traffic around West Lake is really bad, almost all the time. It's worth making an effort to figure out the bus system.

I've heard, though I don't know for sure, that parts of the metro system are now completed. Maybe someone who lives there can give you a tip on a hotel near a metro stop.

Here's info on the city bus system: (look under "get around.") http://wikitravel.org/en/Hangzhou#Get_around

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

the 2 hotels mentioned is well within your budget.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

You can check in 7daysinn

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

7days inn, that was what I saw next to the West Lake, across the street. Check that out, good reputation, personally have not try any of it. I think Dahau is about $100 range too.

I was there few months ago, traffic is not bad around the lake, always many autos as expected, it sort of moves along nonstop. Not relevant.

Your mid range price can find many hotels next to the lake, forget about taking a bus to the lake or walk 30 minutes. If you are going to West Lake, you stay at West Lake, not 30 minutes away. Even if it costs you a little extra above budget, money wisely spent.

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
26 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

At 500-600RMB a night you can find a really REALLY good hotel very close to the lake. Check out ctrip.com ~ they should have english as well. I was trying to find a place for a couple of nights for my ex, found a bunch of 4*s close to the lake for 300-400.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotels - advice on location - lake is expensive!

For this budget and even for a bit less, you can find wonderful boutique hotels up on the hills. I recommend the cluster of hotels next to Hangzhou zoo and Children's Park (on Hupao Road). The place is a former village, easily accessible from the lake by bus (only 10-15 minutes). Some of the hotels there are very unique and give you peace and quiet, with nice views and atmosphere.