We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tau Hu

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Tau Hu

I am traveling to Hangzhou and Suzhou.looking at Tai Hu now.

(1) Is it better to travel Hangzhou - Suzhou - Tai Hu - Suzhou ?

(2) Is a day trip to Tai Hu enough ? (from Suzhou)

(3) What transport is recommended ?

(4) Any addition info is appreciated .

Thanks

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
22,521 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tau Hu

If you correct your spelling on the subject line, you should get better answers. As it is no one knows what Tau Hu is. Put "Tai Hu Lake" in the subject line.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,716 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tau Hu

Why do you want to see Tai Hu? I lived near the lake a few years ago & visited the south part once. It smelled so bad we had to cover our noses. It was covered in fluorescent green slime. Apparently it is the most polluted lake in China!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tau Hu

ThanksSocialSecurity,

Thanks for advise.

Any suggestion for my Tai Hu Lake ?

Thanks again .

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tau Hu

Zuhai2007,

Thanks for the info.

I have no particular interest in this place , just feel like adding 1 place for my Hangzhou/Suzhou sector. Any suggestion ?

Apparently, there are some historic stories/legends on Tai Hu , (only the name attracts)

please suggest and advise.

Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tau Hu

Agreed with Zuhai2007.

Anyway, I visited Tai Hu in 2010 from Suzhou. Long time ago was in Wuxi.

From Suzhou by metro (the new service) to Mudu (a very small ancient water town).

Mudu- Guangfu Town: by bus#64, fee= RMB2, travel time= 30min.This town has a Yuan Dynasty temple with bronze Guanyin that just besides the #651 bus stop.

Guangfu Town:

Guangfu Town- Tai Wu lakeside: by local bus#651, fee= RMB1, travel time= 15min.

Tai Wu lakeside- Suzhou: by bus#64, fee= RMB4, travel time= 1.25hours.

FYI.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tau Hu

Chinaloveland, will relook at this town,

By the way, any suggestion for me to add in since I am travelling to Hangzhou and Suzhou. Just feel like to add on another spot.

Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tau Hu

In between Hangzhou and Suzhou, one of the most interest thing is visiting of ancient water town.

I rated these Towns below;

1) Zhujiajiao, Shanghai: It is my most favorite town (personally). The highlight is the bridges have difference architecture style.

2) Tongli, Suzhou: Exactly, it is the best. It has canals, lake, ancient parks, museums,....... As a foreigner, DON'T MISSED.

3) Anchang, Shaoxing: It is near Hangzhou and less crowd. There is a 'Lawyer Museum' . If you familiar Chinese culture, you'll have fun.

4) Luzhi, Suzhou: Very closed with Tongli, very nice and quite. The highlight is the buddha sculptures; one of the best in China.

5) Ba Cheng Town (old street), Kunshan: It locates beside Yangcheng Lakeside, quite and less crowd. If you are a gourmet and favour of freshwater crabs. It is the holyland.

6) Wuzhen: The resort area is fake.

7) Xitang: Dirt.

8) Mudu, Suzhou: Good for visit the ancient town for an hour only.

9) Zhouzhuang, Suzhou: a GARBAGE!!! I don't know why people come here.

FYI.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Shaoxing
Shaoxing
Zhejiang, China
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tau Hu

Chinaloveland,

Thanks for the info.

Considering , I have 6 days (inclusive , arrive & depart from Hangzhou) for the trip

1) if I opt for this Zhujiajiao,

(i)how is the routing ? Hanhzhou - Zhujiajiao - Suzhou ? OR .....

(ii) need to stay ? 1 night enough ?

(2) Being there , very nice & cosy place. Especially the sex Museum.

(3) if I opt for this Anchang ,

(i)how is the routing ? Hanhzhou - Anchang - Suzhou ? OR .....

(4) This is very interesting , Is the route Hangzhou - Suzhou - Luzhi - Suzhou - Hangzhou(to depart)

(5) Ba Cheng Town, this triggers my stomach, Is the crab still available early Nov ?

Thanking in anticipation .

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tau Hu

6 days are rush!!!

1) if I opt for this Zhujiajiao,

(i)how is the routing ?

I been here 3 times, the recent trip in 2011. It is free. Follows are my itinerary

a) Hanhzhou - Shanghai South railway station (by train)- Zhujiajiao(by bus, RMB10, 1.25H) - Shanghai Siuth railway station (by bus)- Suzhou (by train) or

b) Hanhzhou - Qingpu (by bus, RMB54, 2H)- Zhujiajiao(by bus, RMB3, 30min) - Shanghai South railway station (by bus, RMB10, 1.25H)- Suzhou (by train)

I'll opt #a because the Hanhzhou hong haul bus station is far away from the city centre. If you not speak Chinese, it is tough.

1-night is OK. The ideal plan is arrive at the afternoon. Have a quick sightseeing and locates which spots that you like to take photos. After 16:00, most tourists gone and come back for photo. On the next morning, before tourists come, take photo too and leave before noon,

(2) Being there , very nice & cosy place. Especially the sex Museum.

Tongli's Sex Museum are modern art display with the subject of Sex, not really tradition Chinese displays. I favorite the 'Hundred Beds Museum', it displays ancient wooden sculptures and the art of ancient wooden beds

(3) if I opt for this Anchang ,

(i)how is the routing ? Hanhzhou - Anchang - Suzhou ? OR .....

I been here in 2007. When arrive Hangzhou airport, by airport bus or taxi to Shaoxing then local bus#118 (RMB3.5, 1H). After that hire a motorcycle, the driver will bring you to the backdoor and skip adm fee.

The points are along the canal.

If you come early, no need to stay. After the visit, back to Shaoxing then to Hangzhou. Of course, you can stay 1-night at Anchang or Shaoxing.

(4) This is very interesting , Is the route Hangzhou - Suzhou - Luzhi - Suzhou - Hangzhou(to depart)

Luzhi is 1H from Tongli. If you just have 6-days., skip it. Yes, this route is practical.

(5) Ba Cheng Town, this triggers my stomach, Is the crab still available early Nov ?

Definitely!! Nov (Oct of Lunar calendar) is good for male crab.I been her for 3-times. The recent visit is Nov/2011.

I stayed at a GH in Ba Cheng Town Ancient street which locates at the junction of 2 canals.

Ba Cheng Town tourist point are;

- Park: it build like a crab shape, because its main product is crab.

- Chongning temple: it locates besides the Yangcheng Lake and has an huge cement crab shaped sculpture.

At Kunshan railway station, by bus#118 (RMB5, 1H, 2011 info) or by taxi (RMB50, 30min, 2010 info)

FYI.

Mentioned in this post
Shaoxing
Shaoxing
Zhejiang, China
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tau Hu

Chinaloveland,