We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for Hangzhou Oct.3-5

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Need advice for Hangzhou Oct.3-5

Hi, I need some advice for traveling to Hangzhou during Golden week. Yes, I know this is the worst time to go but the travel plans are already set. Would really appreciate some advice and tips on how to have an enjoyable visit during this time period. Some specific questions:

1. Would it be possible to buy a bullet train ticket at the Shanghai Hongqiao station to Hangzhou station on Oct. 3? Should I try to buy the ticket online?

2. Is http://www.gotohangzhou.com/ a reputable sight to buy show tickets?

3, Should the West Lake be avoided due to crowds?

Thanks in advance!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,808 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for Hangzhou Oct.3-5

I suggest you try to get someone in Shanghai to buy your train tickets in advance for this busy time.

Going to Hangzhou and not visiting West Lake is like going to Paris without visiting the Eiffel Tower! If you go to some of the more remote parts of West Lake such as the Bai Causeway I'm sure you will find some less crowded places. Hopefully by the 4th or 5th the crowds will ease as many people only get 3 days off work (I know I do!!)

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for Hangzhou Oct.3-5

Train ticket reservation is advised to ensure the ticket of suitable schedule. You can give your Shanghai hotel a try to book the ticket.

As for the show, again ask your hotel for help if they can.

West Lake is a no-miss local highlight. Maybe starting your tour bright early before the tourist mass swarmed into sights might give you some chance of less crowdedness.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,776 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for Hangzhou Oct.3-5

You cannot book tickets online unless you go through an agent.

Edited: 8:25 am, August 03, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
80 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for Hangzhou Oct.3-5

I understand that train ticket is only opened for sale 10 days before departure date but it could be earlier due to this 'golden week'.

You may wish to consider spending a little more and buy 1st class ticket. We traveled in Aug and paid RMB124; it was so comfortable.

5. Re: Need advice for Hangzhou Oct.3-5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, December 18, 2013