We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hangzhou or shanghai

essex
Level Contributor
333 posts
372 reviews
Save Topic
hangzhou or shanghai

We are a party of 12 locksmiths arriving in hangzhou for a 3 day visit via beijing to view our hosts 2 factories.In return our generous hosts have kindly agreed to feed and hotel us for 3 days of our visit.To make the long journey's flight cost viable we tagged on a day in beijing with a tour of the great wall and city sights for the day of our arrival and plan to leave via shanghai 2 days after we leave our hosts.So the question is that we need to arrange 2 nights accommandation and sights to see in either hangzhou or shanghai.Which city would best suit our needs.Somewere close to the hotel for meals with interesting street life etc at a reasonable cost and if we stay in shanghai easy access to the airport may be a plus.The cost of the extra 2 days/ nights weren't originally budjeted for so what with the cost of the flights etc cost is a bit of an issue.So to summerise what city and which hotels for cost and location. I have been viewing asia rooms site for cost of hotels but have no real knowledge of the value of their location.Would prefer 4* but would like to establish location 1st.

many thanks for any guidance..eric

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hangzhou or shanghai

As I understand you, you already will be in Hangzhou for three nights after a one-day stop in Beijing. Business hosts in China traditionally go well out of their way for their visiting Western guests on factory tours. I am gathering you buy or might buy products from these factories.

I think your hosts will be justifiably proud of Hangzhou and will have shown you all the highlights. In that case, then you might spend your additional two nights (at your own expense) in Shanghai. You will have seen the high points of Hangzhou, which is West Lake and environs for its beauty, and possibly silk and tea production. Don't forget to bring your hosts nicely presented gifts from Essex! They will be giving you gracious welcoming gifts. (I apologize if I am too basic for you.)

Like in all of China, taxis are pretty cheap. A ride in Shanghai will cost no more than 40 yuan, $5 for three people, maybe four. I think you want a central location, close to most generally appealing sites. Stick with this site, TripAdvisor.com, for the best recommendations on hotels. Many reviews mention the hotel location as a positive or negative. If you stay close to the Bund and East Nanjing Street, you cannot go wrong on location.

You should also consult ctrip.com and elong.com, and then the hotel's own website, if available, for the best hotel price. Keep checking often, as the nearer it gets, the price may be coming way down, sometimes 1/3 the rack rate. Be prepared to change Shanghai hotels even while you are in Hangzhou, depending on pricing. Obviously, do not reserve prepaid or deposit-paid rooms, or you will lose flexibility.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hangzhou or shanghai

I guess you might find this a little on the cheap side since you said you're looking for 4-star hotels, but I think Paramount Hotel is well worth a mention as the location is great for sightseeing, general transport as well as getting to either airport -- it's <100 metres to the airport shuttle bus stop for both airports.

essex
Level Contributor
333 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hangzhou or shanghai

many thanks for both of your replies---i think we my be favouring shanghai--i can't find the paramount hotel on any of the sites--can you help ?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hangzhou or shanghai

It's on Nanjing Xilu, junction with Huashan Lu. Smack right on top of Jing'an Temple metro stop. PM me if you need more details.

essex
Level Contributor
333 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hangzhou or shanghai

Ellyse i am really struggling to find a site that offers or list the paramount hotel in shanghai--i can find the temple--refereences to the old paramount dance hall--even the paramount hotels resturant in time out etc but no site that offers the hotel--can you assist ?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: hangzhou or shanghai

Have sent you a PM.

essex
Level Contributor
333 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hangzhou or shanghai

i have managed to track down the paramount hotel--i think it is the bailemen hotel--its location and price is good but i'm a bit concerned on some of the customers reviews espacially about the quality of the breakfast--can any one recommend a 4* choice with a good tourist location.Nanjing west or east look great locations.Also are any hotels that offer a resonable single supplement as some of our party might not fancy sharing a room

many thanks---eric

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: hangzhou or shanghai

You do NOT necessarily have to eat breakfast in the hotel.

There's McDonald's less than 5 mins walk from the hotel. If you want real Western breakfast, there's an Element Fresh (http://www.elementfresh.com) at the Portman, 10 mins walk from the hotel. If you want Chinese breakfast then that makes it even easier, those would be everywhere.

9. Re: hangzhou or shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 am, August 30, 2009