We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kunming to Laos or Vietnam by land

Which Kunming hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
152 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kunming to Laos or Vietnam by land

Hello,

Due to my visa requirements (double entry 30 days each) I have to plan leaving China for a few days. I am and will be in Yunnan, so consider going overland from Kunming to either Vietnam or back to Laos.

What are the options: bus only? how about booking, conditions and the prices?

Thank you in advance for help.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kunming to Laos or Vietnam by land

It's easy enough to go to either Vietnam or Laos by bus from Kunming. But it's a long trip and both of those countries require a visa. (Must admit I'm not 100% sure of the visa rules for Polish citizens.)

The Laos visa can be purchased on arrival at the border, but the Vietnam visa must be obtained in advance. You can get both in Kunming at the consulates of the respective countries.

If you have limited time, suggest looking into a flight to Shenzhen and then crossing to Hong Kong. It's a much more efficient way to obtain a new entry stamp. No visa is required for most nationalities to cross into Hong Kong.

It's not difficult to make the round trip that way all in one day. Quite a few of us expats do it like that. If you fly off peak (go early and return late) the air ticket is not very expensive.

Of course if you want to travel inside Vietnam or inside Laos for a while, it's a different matter.

Edited: 2:38 am, April 18, 2014
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
152 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kunming to Laos or Vietnam by land

Thank you. Flying out and in looks better, but cheapest 250 usd is painful. Anyway...

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kunming to Laos or Vietnam by land

How about going to Bangkok for a couple of days? With Air Asia and cheap lodging it should be about the same price, maybe cheaper. Not sure if you need a visa for Thailand. There may be other discount flights.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kunming to Laos or Vietnam by land

Be sure that you are checking flight prices on a China-based travel website. E-Long and C-Trip are reliable. Travelzen is also popular, though I personally don't find their service is as good if one needs customer support. But they don't charge the 3% foreign credit card fee that the other two do.

Edited: 9:42 am, April 18, 2014
5. Re: Kunming to Laos or Vietnam by land

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 20, 2015