We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights (well) north of Kunming?

Which Kunming hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Sights (well) north of Kunming?

I'm going to be leaving Zigong in a couple of days and heading for Kunming. I haven't been able to find many reasons to stop between the two cities, but then I don't know the place. I'll be travelling by train, and could break the journey for a night, or two, if there were places that made for interesting stops (and given that I've visited irrigation systems, salt mines, pandas, serious museums... a fairly wide definition of interesting can be assumed).

Thanks

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,089 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sights (well) north of Kunming?

Looking at the train stops between these two places, i do not recognize any name. Maybe someone will come up with something otherwise you may have to resort to googling each name.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,947 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sights (well) north of Kunming?

Assuming you're on the direct southbound train line: Yibin is an access point for the Bamboo Sea and the old hanging caves above the Bo River. But it's not that far down the road from Zigong. For something more in the middle of the journey, maybe Caohai on the Guizhou-Yunnan border, which has the large marsh with overwintering birds in winter. You might run into some birdwatching and conservation groups around there this time of year.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sights (well) north of Kunming?

As you aimed on 'north of Kunming' and your time frame is 'a couple of days', Kunming or Zhaotong (for bird watching) is the choice.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sights (well) north of Kunming?

The K853 goes south through Xuanwei 宣威 which is the home of Yunnan's most famous cured hams 宣威火腿。 I have not been there myself, but a stop would probably allow you to see how the hams are produced and give you access to a couple of good meals featuring this highly prized regional treat.

I've been to Zhaotong 昭通 and Qujing 曲靖 and don't recall much of interest in either place. Of course that doesn't mean that more diligent searching, especially on the Chinese internet, might not turn up some enjoyable activities.

Edited: 12:51 am, December 13, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sights (well) north of Kunming?

Thanks for all replies - nothing that enticing, so have booked a through train (might try for some of the ham in Kunming, as I have heard about the local ham).

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sights (well) north of Kunming?

#5 -- Sure, that makes good sense. Xuanwei ham is easily available in Kunming. No real need to go to the source to sample it.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,947 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sights (well) north of Kunming?

Agree with your decision to take a through train. There are simply too many better places in Yunnan to spend limited time in this interstitial area.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sights (well) north of Kunming?

A shop near my home where I often buy tea is staffed by two young women from Zhaotong. I was there about noon today to taste a cup of a new arrival and they said there was about a foot of snow on the ground in their hometown and it was still falling.

For what it's worth, Kunming is also hovering between 2 and 5 degrees Celsius today, with freezing rain this morning, that this afternoon has become light snow. It has been several years since we have had snow, but it does happen occasionally.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sights (well) north of Kunming?

Hehe - I've noticed the snow, and saw quite a bit on the ground as I came down by train. I'm sure I will cope.

10. Re: Sights (well) north of Kunming?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 17, 2014