We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

Which Kunming hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

Hi

Planning for a 5 days trip to Kunming / Dali / Lijiang in Aug (7/8 to 11/8) for a group of 4. Kindly suggest the best routing and any reliable tour operator for private tour - english & mandarin speaking tour guide.

Tks

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

Day 1 Arrive into Kunming with a transfer to hotel.If time allows,have some city sight seeing.

Day 2 Travel to Dali by private van.Enjoy the relaxing atmosphere there,and have some activities according to your interest and physical demand.

Day 3 Travel to Lijiang by private van. Immerse yourselves into the carnival there by join the singing and dancing with the locals. It is up to your interest whether to stay in a guest house in old town or some resort in suburb.

Day 4 Day tour of the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain or Lashi Wetland.

Day 5 Return to Kunming.

Guilin
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

Given the short five days, Dali could be skipped since the Lijiang itself could take about 3 full days to cover the main sights like the Lijiang Old Town, the Jade Dragon Mountain, the Baisha Murals, Tiger Leaping Gorge, etc.while the travel transfer also takes up some times. Half day tour in Kunming Stone Forest or combine with Jiuxiang in a day could well occupy your rest time.

Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

Thanks wanderchina & JohnWong68.

I also don't think is enough time to cover all 3 destinations.

Here's our itinerary

Wed, 7/8

Noon arrive Kunming

Sightseeing Stone Forest, Dianchi Lake & Western Hills

Overnight in Kunming

Thur, 8/8

7am flight from Kunming to Lijiang

Sightseeing in Lijiang

Fri, 9/8

Sightseeing in Lijiang

Sat, 10/8

Sightseeing in Lijiang

Evening flight to Kunming

Sun, 11/8

Noon flight back home

Is this itinerary doable ?

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

That is perfect.It saves a lot of time by flying.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

That's rainy season. Be sure to take an umbrella and spare shoes.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

We visited Lijiang, Dali, Shangrila in November 2011. We asked our hotels to organise drivers from Lijiang to Dali and Lijiang to Shangrila. We were approached in the square in Lijiang by an English speaking Naxi woman and she and her husband took us to nearby Baisha Old town and Shuhe village and purchased tickets for a Naxi Ancient music concert. It's easy to book drivers and guides when you arrive in Lijiang. We stayed 2 nights in Dali at the Linden Centre run by an American. I think two places are enough to visit in 5 days otherwise you'll be wasting time getting from one place to another. Personally I would recommend spending at least two full days in Lijiang Old Town. It is a World Heritage site and I quote from UNESCO "Lijiang is an exceptional ancient town set in a dramatic landscape which represents the harmonious fusion of different cultural traditions to produce an urban landscape of outstanding quality."

Scarsdale, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

We're visiting relatives in Kunming April 7.. May stay in Green Lake hotel for onenight only, no tour needed. Leave for Dali next day, stay at Linden center , then Lijiang and stay at Crowne Plaza. Wonder if we can book transportation at all the respective hotels. Have already booked a plane departing LIjiang in the morning of April 14. Any suggestion as to how long we should stay in Dali and Lijiang. Also, can we book a driver and guide when we arrive at the hotels. There will be 4 of us. Do we need to book a private tour here in the United States ahead of time? Any advice would be appreciated.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

We stayed 2 nights at the Linden Centre in November 2011 but we drove there and back from Lijiang so we only had one full day in Dali. You may like to read my review, the Linden Centre is frequented by westerners because the owners are American. I think to get the best from the Linden Centre you need to stay longer and join the activities they provide. We stayed in three different hotels in Lijiang because we used it as a base to go to Dali and then Shangrila. We loved Blossom Hill Inn, I have reviewed all the hotels we stayed in on that trip. The Linden Centre sent a driver to Lijiang to pick us up so just send an email and they will organise that for you. They also arranged a driver to take us to Dali for the day. We asked that couple to take us back to Lijiang because they had a comfortable car which we preferred to the mini van sent by the hotel. One of our Lijiang hotels was the Tea Boutique and they organised a driver to take us to Shangrila. I think it is probably a service that all the hotels provide. Don't worry about booking a private tour, you can easily do this trip yourselves hiring drivers and guides if you prefer. We managed with non English speaking drivers and we speak no Mandarin. It would have been nice to be able to speak to our drivers but we managed and enjoyed our trip.

Personally I think Lijiang deserves more time than Dali.

Enjoy your trip!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

Do you have to book for the driver for car / van in advance ? or we will be able to get this service on the same day we go for the tour ??

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kunming / Dali / Lijiang

#9 -- No, you don't have to book a car and driver in advance. Arrange it when you first arrive at your hotel. For example: Arrive today and make arrangements for tomorrow.