We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP needed - for Huashan!

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sandakan
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
HELP needed - for Huashan!

Hi folks!

I need some help to convince my wife that she CAN do the complete Huashan experience!

We will arrive there in about one week.

We are both quite fit - BUT she is a little worried about all the stairs.

I have seen some crazy pictures on the internet, and I want to do ALL the crazy stairs!!

But she is not so sure. So. Can anyone help me to tell her, this is not too bad?

3,000 steps, am I right? Some very steep, with chains?

I would LOVE to know what the climb is like - where are the big, steep stairs, and where is the most difficult parts etc.

Our trip will be:

Arrive in Huashan by bus, from Xi'an. Maybe 12pm?

Climb all those crazy steps!

Stay overnight on the mountain - Lonely Planet tells me West Peak Hostel is cheapest and most frinedly, though I cannot find a website to book a bed.

Next morning - see sunrise - hike to all the peaks - maybe cable car down (I blame the wife for this - but really, I think I will be too tired to climb down!)

Late bus back to Xi'an - I don't care how late!

Any thoughts/advice/encouragement is VERY welcome! We speak no Chinese at all, but we both love an adventure!

Many thanks, in advance!

Tony

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
35,281 posts
747 reviews
1. Re: HELP needed - for Huashan!

One piece of advice is try to find a map of the peaks somewhere around the base before getting on the lift. Signage on the mountain is poor and the few that you will find are not clear. When we got off we saw the 3D plan of the mountain. It would have been helpful to see it before climbing.

It is definitely all stairs going up, some very steep but you do not have to walk along those planks: http://www.ssqq.com/ARCHIVE/vinlin27d.htm

xi an
Level Contributor
330 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: HELP needed - for Huashan!

it is safe to climb up to the top .some stairs are very steep .but they have chains there everywhere .they have cheaper room on the top .but you have to share room with other tourists .<10 people share one big room >room rate is 120 per per son .the private room up there is more expensive<720 per room > need show passport

it it better see sunrise at east peak . bring gloves with you for climbing .

hope this can help you

michael yang

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
9,238 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: HELP needed - for Huashan!

In a Xi'an guidebook, it lists Huashan as No.2 must visit. After many days of consideration and rescheduling, I decided not to spend a full day on Huashan, time is just too precious, at least that is the decision for now.

I guess I do not need to ask if they have helicopter tour for Huashan? that seems to be the best and most logical way to see Huashan. The thought is not that crazy, as helicopter tours are very common in the U.S., I have taken helicopter and private airplane tours on Maui, Oahu, volcanos, Disneyworld etc... the most efficient way to see hard to reach far away locations. In the case of Disney World, a 30 minutes flyover in helicopter is far superior to actually walk the place and wait in lines.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: HELP needed - for Huashan!

Don't take a bus from Xi'an to Huashan, which will take forever to get clear of Xi'ans metro traffic, so old-fashioned. Just take the fast train and have more time at Huashan. The bullet train stations are Xi'an North and Huashan North, which is closer to the mountain anyway.

Sandakan
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: HELP needed - for Huashan!

Thanks for the help, folks! We are off to climb Huashan tomorrow - by the 'Soldier's Path', the route that runs under the cable cars and has all the crazy steps we've seen pictures of!

We'll get the bus, as it is hard to get train tickets on the same day - we met two guys today who had tried to buy tickets, but they were all sold out! But it is high season now. So - bus!

We'll try to stay at the West Peak Hostel (because it is cheapest?) and will hike to the East Peak in the morning to see the sunrise!

I'll let you all know how it goes...

:0)

Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: HELP needed - for Huashan!

Hello:

Good luck to you and your wife, hope you can book the west peak hostel in advance which isn't not the cheapest one, but that is one you can easy to climb up at the early morning to see the sunrise.

Hope this can help

xianhistorytourgudie

7. Re: HELP needed - for Huashan!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 05, 2014