We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

I just wanted to tell everyone how easy it was to get the local bus out to the Terracotta Warriors - and I don't even know how to catch a bus in my own city! It truly is the quickest, cheapest way if you have limited time and just want to go straight to Warriors, and not be on some tour that makes unexpected stops at tea stores, silk factories where you will get "special" price. It takes the expressway, which a taxi might avoid so they can charge you more for taking longer.

Bus 306 does leave from depot just east of the railway station, but it seems to have a stop all to itself, which is actually INSIDE the wall perimeter, from a square which is really pedestrianised road. Just walk back inside the wall when you reach the eastern side of the square in front of train station. You will see a yellow building on a street corner, which has China Post in it (green store). There will be a big busstop sign with a number 5 (I think), and in smaller print is the 306. It leaves very frequently - about every 10min or when it filled, at least in the morning. It will have a 306 on the window next to the door where you get on. Just sit down, eventually someone will come up and sell you a ticket for 5Y one way. It didn't crowd people on - left when all seats were full. It doesn't stop at all in Xian (at least when it was full at 830am), just drives along expressway to an outer town, where it does make a few stops to let locals off - but don't worry, you WILL know when to get off...the big carpark at the end with all the tour buses! The trip takes a while (?40 min to hr) but it was direct and SO cheap, and you will be PROUD of yourself for doing it! I didn't actually take the bus back, arranged a taxi to take me to the museum for 120Y....she took such a long route which I think was to avoid any toll road. Wish I took the bus, and THEN a taxi in town.

I did see a tour for 295Y for a whole day tour, probably not bad money value as entry to the warriors was 90Y without guide, but if time is your most valuable asset, take the Bus! Guides hired on site are very hit and miss at the Warriors - the one I got didn't tell me anything that wasn't in my book or written on a plaque, and she just tried to sell me things.

PS Ride the city wall - it was fantastic! totally alone, but gets a bit warm. A great way to tour the city and be active.

essex
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

very helpful message but when you said 'ride the city wall' what is this?

Belgium
Level Contributor
794 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

Very goof of you to post this: Me too I think the bus is the best way to go the TC warriors.

If I may: by "riding the city wall", I think Goingfor100 means riding a bike on top of the city walls. And here too I agree: it is definitely something to do in Xi'an!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

Yes, bike riding around the top of the Xian city perimeter wall, which is now 100% complete. At not peak time (I was there April), there were in fact limited places to get up to the top of the wall. I went up at the south gate...entry is on the inner side, right at the widest part which has grassed area in front of it, in the middle of traffic bedlam! It costs 40Y to go up, then 15Y to hire a bike for 1.5 hrs...have a look at the bikes and pick one with a good seat if you have a choice! It actually took me 1.5hrs to ride around the whole wall, and I didn't really stop so I'm wondering if they pick that time because you are likely to go over into the next time bracket and have to pay extra (but it's so cheap anyway!)

Bikes could be hired abour 100m E and 100m west of where you come up. I rode West first, but as the paving gets worse along the East wall (as well as the south), I might suggest heading east and getting the bumpiest bit over whilst you can handle it.

There really was no-one up there, an amazing feeling in China to have these spectacular views to yourself. Take sunscreen, hat, water and I always take a travel pack of moist towellettes, because ther is no respite from the sun, and that was in April. It was one of my three favourite things in China (being the Jinshaling wall and the pandas in Chengdu).

Monterey, CA
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

Hello.

Enjoyed your posting about taking the local bus to the terra Cotta Warriors.

How did you get to Xian? By air/train/bus? I am thinking about gettng to Xian by train/bus.

Do you know about transfers into the city from the airport?

Which hotel would you recommend? My wife and I and three kids, ages 17, 13, and 12, are all experienced travelers, so we like to stay in the heart of the city. Other posts have reocmmened the Bell Tower Hotel. Any suggestions.

Also, any suggestions on Bejing and Shangahi?

Thanks,

Jim Hlavacek

Monterey, CA

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,363 posts
1 review
5. Re: Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

lavacek, where'll you be heading to Xi'an from? I agree that train would be a great way to get to Xi'an, but bus might be uncomfortable if it's a long journey (anything more than a few hours).

There're airport shuttles to the Bell Tower, very central.

What's your budget like for the hotel and when will you be staying? I usually recommend Shaanxi Wenyuan Hotel (located right on the Bell Tower square) as it's wonderful value-for-money in all aspects. I've also booked a friend at the 4-star Mercure for a great price and he was very happy with the place as well.

What suggestions are you after for Beijing and Shanghai? Accommodation or sights? Or something else?

Feel free to drop me an email at ellyse99@yahoo.com (please remember to include your TripAdvisor username, thanks) if you've any more questions/need more info.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

I arrived late and so had pre-arranged car/taxi which cost me 100Y. It was about an hour's drive.

All I can say about accommodation is don't stay where I did! I was trying to relive my youth and go budget as there doesn't seem to be any "destination" hotels in Xian that I had to experience. After such a rave review in Lonely Planet China 2005 ed., I stayed at Xian Lu Dao Bunguan ( Hotel ). I asked for the best room with private bathroom - which had a sunken floor and constantly in a puddle, mold over the walls. More than half the brown carpet was covered in black stains, and there was snot on the walls. I asked to see another room, but that was even worse! It was up near the train station, I would recommend staying down near bell tower/Muslim quarter instead. My friends stayed at the Bell Tower, they had no complaints.

That's all I can really help you with, not an expert at all, just wanted people to know about the things I enjoyed. ( I also really liked the market near the mosque, much calmer than other touristy markets. )

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,363 posts
1 review
7. Re: Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

Actually, Ludao Binguan has been garnering a bad name on the Lonely Planet online travel forum (http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com) for horrendous service as well. Sometimes not everything that guidebooks say are correct.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

I have to tell you I so agree about the satisfaction of being able to cross off a major site so easily! I have been told that I can't do China unless I have a guide! I think it is so doable and my guide is my Lonely Planet.

I wrote your info down and we too will hit the warrriors first. But I have to ask is the Wild Goose pagoda in the same area? Has anyone seen these cave dwellings are they close by?

Thanks, :)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,363 posts
1 review
9. Re: Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

No, the Wild Goose Pagoda (do you mean the Small Goose Pagoda or Big Goose Pagoda? There're 2 of them) isn't in the same area as the Terracotta Warriors. The Terracotta Warriors are out of the city, whereas the Pagodas (at 2 separate locations) are in the area south of the city walls.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Local Bus to Xian Terracotta Warriors

hmm I dunno which Goose I want but I guess I can see em both as I will be staying in the city and they wil be right there! thanks so much for responsing! Took my lonely planet awhile to get here!