We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
660 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

We come to Xian at 24th of September and sleep in Citadines Hotel. On 25th of September we want to visit Terracota Warriors Museum and take a night train to Beijing (Z20). We are a Family (3 Persons) and now have problems with train reservation, because hotel want that we send then money for reservation (is that normal?) and the number of credit card (strange to me). We contacted China trip advisor.com, but there are some comments on Tripadvisor.com about unrealible and problems. I cannot understand where is the problem when I send a request to the chinatripadvisor.com more than 20 days in advance. So what to do? Take a plane? We also check the new chinese websites, but only in chinese, and do not under if I can make a reservation on this websites for train from Xian to Beijing at all an where on this websites? Could anyone advise me a solution! Thank you Ales

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,819 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

You cannot buy these tickets online. Also, the tickets are not available yet. You should deal with your hotel. I can understand why they want payment in advance: what if you order tickets and don't show up?

Xi'an, China
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

Hello,

May be you can not understand in China, at that time,It is very hard to get a ticket. So you can change to plane, otherwise, you need pay more 80 yuan for each ticket.

Best wishes!

wendyhu

Melbourne
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

hi, we will be in Beijing late September, and are thinking of going to Xian for a quick trip and considering the trains as well. Given all the latest discussions on difficulty in purchasing tickets in advance (from outside China), is it ambitious to purchase the train tickets whilst we are in Beijing - or we should just forget about the trains and book flights now? thank you.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

1. China trip advisor, no connection to this site, is not an official ticket agent. It is an agency which may or may not get you tickets, even though you "reserved" them. Then they must deliver them to you, maybe or maybe not.

2. Very common for your hotel to request the money in advance to buy the tickets? What happens if you do not show? They are stuck with train tickets which are nonrefundable. The Citadines is a reputable hotel and I would not hesitate to give them info. They already have the same info for a guarantee I am sure.

3. You are very lucky to have a cooperative hotel. Give them info and thank them profusely for going to the trouble of getting you train tickets.

4. You cannot buy one-way Z train tickets in a city different than the departure. So you must buy Xi'an tickets in Xi'an, but you can buy return tickets in the city of origin, so you can buy both ways in Beijing. Have your hotel get them in advance, like the OP above.

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
660 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

Is there any other reliable agency for train ticket, because on Tripadvisor.com - Citadines hotel there are a comment about unreliable staff in this hotel and advise not to pay with credit card or scan the credit card. I made a reservation through Booking.com, I think they do not see the whole number of my credit card.

London, UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

Wasn't there some advice that one can book by phone 11 days in advance so it could be from anywhere and not the origin city??? Or have I misunderstood?

7. Re: Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, September 02, 2011
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,819 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

The booking 11 days in advance can only be done by phone with the Beijing train authorities and only by Chinese person. It is an automated system and at one point you need to enter your id card number and the same person making the booking has to go to the train station to pick up the tickets.

That would not work for a train leaving Xi'An. Need to buy them in Xi'An.

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

Do you need a airport transfer service. If so,Try to book a airport transfer service from a travel agency and ask for overnight train Z20(19:30/08:18) or Z54(19:21/08:24) SOFT SLEEPER tickets as well. In the way, you can save the ticket delivery fee(tickets booking fee is also need) . And make the payment via Paypal(safely). Most of the reliable online travel agencies, like Chinahights, AbsoluteChinaTours, China Odyssey can accept payplal.

Edited: 10:27 pm, September 01, 2011
Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Z20 train reservation Xian Beijing

smrko,

Yes, there is a review as to credit card fraud among the 201 posted for this hotel. I do not find one such review to be surprising out of many.

I would trust it with my credit card for purchasing the train tickets. There is another active thread on this topic of giving out credit card numbers or photocopies: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k477…

As stated there, the merchant has far more to lose with an employee who steals credit card numbers. Charging hotel bills on international credit cards is the lifeblood of a hotel's business. Visa and MasterCard can remove authority for charging at that establishment, causing customers to go elsewhere. Everyone takes these incidents of fraud very seriously and the individual gets his or her money back.