We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi safety

san francisco
Level Contributor
244 posts
taxi safety

We will arrive Xi'an from Beijing on overnite train and plan to hire a taxi to go to terra cotta warriors directly at the train station with luggage, then check into the hotel in the afternoon.

How do I know which taxi is legal/safe to hire at the train station?

Is it safe to leave luggage in the trunk of the taxi? meaning the taxi driver will not take off when waiting for us at tourist site.

China,XI'an
Level Contributor
184 posts
1. Re: taxi safety

I don't think taxi is safe for Terracotta Journey. Here is some experience:

It' better to book van from reliable tour company.

"Xian is beautiful and if we were to go there again, I will definitely be firm with the taxi driver and tell the

taxi driver in no uncertain term that do not try to earn commissions by taking us to shops that we do not wish to go.

The taxi driver was too bad, but since we booked him for the whole day to see Terra cotta warriors etc, he

should not stop at shops that pay taxi driver commission for bringing customers in.

That taxi driver also has connection with a tour guide service at the Terra-Cotta Warriors site.

I mention this to you because I realize that you are in the travel business. If you are not doing it already,

may I suggest that you link up with some more honest taxi drivers and tour guides?

More and more of the overseas tourists would like to hire a taxi or taxi van to see specific tourist

attractions.

We find it annoying that there were better & cheaper tour guides than the one recommended by our

taxi driver.

Our taxi driver also took the opportunity to increase the taxi fare from our hotel to the airport, as we

agree to let him take us to the airport without specifying the price before hand.

Are you familiar and do you cater for tourists in other Chinese cities ?

Thanks you for replying my query. "

Maggie

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,564 posts
152 reviews
2. Re: taxi safety

Maggie consistently recommends you need a safe driver from a reliable tour company. Is she implying her tour company is safe and taxi drivers are not?

This is capitalism in China. So many times the vendors tell you exactly what suits them, forget the facts.

For a somewhat safer trip, I would contact and arrange a driver beforehand. Do you know Mandarin and are prepared to negotiate with your calculator? There are driver recommendations here, and also dog-fight threads on which one you should choose.

My personal opinion is to take the bus to the Melody hotel, 25 yuan per person, and walk to your hotel in central Xi'an. Drop your luggage and check-in, even if you cannot get into your room, and then go to the Qin Army Warriors.

But many do go directly, although I would not trust a stranger waiting in the queue at the train station with my bags in the boot. This is certainly an option though. As anywhere in China, never listen to a tout outside a transporation facility. Only take taxis in the official queue, not one of the "cheaper for you; quicker too" unlicensed drivers. They usually get lost in order to charge you two or three times a normal fare. Capitalism at work again.

So my best advice is a choice:

1. Arrange a licensed driver to meet you at the airport and negotiate the price in advance. All prices for touring services like this are negotiable. Fixed prices are nonsense anywhere in China when you are hiring them for a longer period of time.

2 Take the bus to the center city, check in and get rid of the bags, and take a taxi from there, r/t.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,326 posts
842 reviews
3. Re: taxi safety

I would not count on a taxi driver to wait for you and keep you luggage. I would either leave my luggage at the train station or drive to the hotel to drop them there.

4. Re: taxi safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, October 11, 2010