We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

I'm visiting Xian for one day arriving around 10am and leaving around 7pm the following night.

I was after some ideas as to sites to see other than the terra cotta warriors.

If anyone out there has some recommendations in regard to this and accommodation that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

I forgot to mention that I am only interested in hostel accommodation and it works out that I'll be there for 2 days.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

The best you can do in your time frame is

Terracotta Warriors - here you will spend a minimum of 2-3 hours easily and it takes sometime to get to here too from Xian. At the complex you will see many other "museum pieces" too, so it will not be essential to see any of the other museums in the town itself given your time frame. The Army in Pit One is a must do. On the way out to the Terracotta Warriors you may wish to stop by the Banpo village, which pre dates the Terracotta warriors by around 5000 years. On the day you travel here it would be a good idea to spend the evening at the Big Wild Goose pagoda sqaure to see the free musical fountain show. Check at your accomm to see if it is operating. If it is it is absolutely a MUST SEE.

The other day you should visit the city. Go to the south gate of the city wall. Go for a bike ride around on top of the wall. Return walk from the South Gate to the Wenchang gate via Shuyuanmen Street. This is a street which is 570 meters long and at either end are large archways. Along the street there are about 100 various shops selling, antiques, writing brushes, bronze ware, folk artworks, traditional handicrafts etc After your shopping get transport to the Bell?drum Tower square. Wlak around here then walk to the Muslim quarter - see the mosque and markets, food stalls etc.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

Since you're looking for a hostel then the City Spring IYH (formerly known as Bell Tower) would be an excellent choice especially re location.

For the Terracotta Warriors, just stick to green public bus 306 instead of finding yourself a "tour", more expensive and more disappointing as those would be a waste of your time and money. This bus 306 runs from the front of Jiefang Fandian which's to the southeast of Xi'an train station square (when you exit Xi'an train station, you're facing south, so look to your left). Beware of the fake 306 buses! Ticket is 7 RMB each way, no discount for round-trip. Journey time is about 70 mins each way. The last stop is the Terracotta Warriors so don't get off anytime before. Don't waste your money or time at Huaqing Pool or any of the other sights.

After you come back from the Terracotta Warriors, it should be pretty late. Head to the Muslim Quarter for dinner and stroll around the night food market.

Next morning, visit the Shaanxi Provincial History Museum and possibly the Big Goose Pagoda if you have time. Remember to leave enough time for a bike ride around the top of the city walls before you leave Xi'an.

Xi'an
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

jhi,it;'s nice to see your post.

and go to terra cotta warrior by bus 306 also can reach while the time is quite long , if you rent a car you can save more time and vist more places.

tThe history of Xi'an is quite long and great ,trave with a professional guide is quite necessary.

only read the book or see by yourself ,it's quite hard to get the real maning of historical relics.

so many advice, so much suggestion, sometimes it make you complex.

you have no idea which is better ,trust your self and you will find the best .

anyway, it's nice for we to offer the useful information !

Have a nice trip !

Jeff

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

Thanks Ellyse for the suggestion on biking the city wall! How much time should we plan for something like this?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

I would say at least a couple of hours.

Detroit Michigan
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

Ellyse,

Is it Shanxi OR Shaanxi?

I thought Xian is in Shanxi and not the next door province called Shaanxi?

I checked the map of China, these are two different provinces?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

Xi'an is the capital of Shaanxi province, not Shanxi province. On the map, Shaanxi province is to the west of neighbouring Shanxi province.

While you're on the subject, it's actually correct to spell it Xi'an instead of Xian.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

I will be staying at the Shangri La Golden Flower in early June. Would I take a taxi to a certain point then walk the wall? I'd rather walk than bike ride. What do you recommend for that? Can you do it at night too? Thanks. Marlyne

10. Re: Making the most of 2 days in Xian..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:29 am, August 29, 2009