We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong to Guilin

Which Guilin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong to Guilin

We are travelling from Hong Kong to Guilin in September. We plan to catch train from Kowloon to Shenzhen. I initially thought of flying to Guilin but as we plan to go to Yangshou I thought perhaps catching train to there from Shenzhen. Can anyone tell me if there is another train other than the one departing at 1615 and arriving in Yangshou at 1802. Also I note that the timetable does say Yangzhou - is this the same place as Yangshou. Also timetable says Shenzhen departing at 1805 arriving Guilin at 1030 - the next day???? or is it 2230?? Am a little confused as I thought Guilin was only 70kms from Yangshou - seems a long train trip. Maybe it is a very slow train?? Also I imagine it is not difficult to then catch the boat from Yangshou to Guilin noting that they seem to travel Guilin to Yangshou...

Any info would be appreciated.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Hong Kong to Guilin

We are heading to Guilin in September as well. Come back to me if you would like the details of a contact in Guilin who can organize evertything for you in Guilin and Yangshou - ian@smokezone.com.au

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hong Kong to Guilin

We will more than likely get the express ferry from HKG to Shenzhen and then fly to Guilin. Tks for your contact. Trying to book a flight on line from Shenzhen to Guilin is like mission impossible. I have a contact in Guilin so may not be too hard afterall. Have had a look at Moon Resort Hotel which is about 5 kms south of Yangshuo. Looks wonderful. www.moon-resort.com. Although have read in my Lonely Planet about travellers being knifed there. Anyone know anything about the situation with muggers around this area.??? Bit scarey. Great, I think I have found a paradise only to find people get mugged there.

Regards Sue

Guangzhou China
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Hong Kong to Guilin

Astra

I am an Australian who lives in Guangzhou and I have been to Yangshuo many times. The train for Guilin leaves from Guangzhou main station although you may be able to buy a ticket from Shenzhen which incorporates the trip to Gaungzhou but unless things have changed the train from Shenzhen arrives at Guangzhou East and a subway trip is required to get to the Guangzhou main station where you may either go the Guilin by overnight sleeper bus or train, your choice. when the train arrives in Guilin you can catch a local bus $RMB 10 to $RMB15 each to Yangshou by exiting the station and keeping to the left hand side of the square. Just before you get to the road look to your right and you will see many small buses Toyota Coasters or equivalent 80 % of which go to Yangshuo.

If you fly you will need to get to the GZ airport from GZ East about a $RMB130 taxi ride which is the cost of the busfare to YS. My email is pwintle00@hotmail.com let me know when you are coming and if I am not working I may be able to assist you through GZ.

In regard to the Moon Hotel I personally would select one in Yangshuo on or near West St as West St is where it all happens and travelling a distance to you hotel late at night a little drunk its OK you are on holiday and alone would not my recommendation

as Yangshuo is like any other place where people with a huge income difference meet. Having said that I have never had any trouble in about 12 trips there but I have friends there and I am always cautious

Phil

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hong Kong to Guilin

Tks Phil for your reply. Am still trying to decide how to get to Guilin. As we are on a tight schedule I prefer to fly there from either Shenzhen or Guangzhou. I have heard that clearing immigration into China when you travel by train is time consuming as they get everyone off the train and then herd them thru and then back onto the train. All I know is we want to try and get the 1pm plane from either Guangzhou or Shenzhen. The train trip to Guangzhou is about two hours is that right?? . Also I think it is the same for Shenzhen. The ferry takes about one hour to Shenzhen from Honkers. I guess no matter where you travel in this world you have to be vigilant. I liked the idea of staying out of Yangshou for a night. I don't get drunk - not often anyway and am a two glass screamer!! so would not be walking around at night tippsey...Besides I have a huge husband to look after me. We are seasoned travellers and are the wrong side of 50 and the right side of 60... so maybe we are not an easy target...hope so....Thanks also for your offer of help. Much appreciated.

Cheers Sue //(*-*)||

PS Which way would you go to get to Guilin from Honkers????

Guangzhou China
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Hong Kong to Guilin

Astra

I am one year on the wrong side of 60 myself so I have been there. I support the Sharks myself and if your schedule is not too tight then you can watch some of the NRL live in Guangzhou at the Irish Bar. In regard to the trip to Guilin if money is not tight and you have a tight time line then fly out of Shenzhen or if imoney is tight come by train to GZ and get a bus or train to Guilin or Yangshuo .

I personally would go by Metro train from HK to the border(ensure you have current visas obtained from the PRC Consulate in Sydney otherwise it will take 24 hrs to get a tourist visa in HK) cross it and get a taxi (Take a note in Mandarin from Aus or get one in HK saying you wish to get to.the airport ) from there to the Shenzhen airport. There are other ways of doing by ferry it but it involves some knowledge of HK. If you fly to Guilin then the airport is a long way out of Guilin and here there are not many english speakers in anywhere in China apart from Yangshuo and Hong Kong so you will need a lot of mandarin notes or arrange a guide to navigate to Yangshuo.

I really would consider an alternate hotel to the one located at Moon Hill unless you like solitude as it is about 9 klms out in the sticks and by that I mean no streetlights. PS bring Rid mozzie repellant and sun cream

Phil