We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri-La or Sheraton?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
621 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Shangri-La or Sheraton?

My husband and I will be visiting Yangshuo in June, heading directly from Guilin airport on June 5 via pre-arranged driver service to Yanghsuo. Originally, we had planned to spend 5 nights in Yanghsuo and then drive to Guilin to catch our 11:30 a.m. flight to Beijing on June 10th. A little concerned about our tight self-imposed timelines, we have decided to cut our Yangshuo visit short by one night. So we will be leave Yangshuo on June 8th and spend the night there so so that we are not hard pressed for time on June 9th. In terms of hotel choices, any recommendations? I was originally thinking that we should stay near the airport but upon further researching, I realized that there were no upscale hotels in the area. So in terms of location to explore the city a bit by foot, which hotel would you suggest. Shangri-La or Sheraton? We are looking for a 4* to 5* accommodation (maximum $180 CDN per night). Any and all suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shangri-La or Sheraton?

Sheraton located in shopping downtown facing Li River on nice walking route is your first choice.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shangri-La or Sheraton?

You are way way overthinking this.

With an 11:30 flight out of KWL, I don't see the urgency at needing to leave Yangshuo and go to Guilin the night before. If you're taking a private car from Yangshuo to the airport, that's 1.5 hours. Show up at check-in desk 1 hour before departure, that's a total of 2.5 hours. If you're scared, add another 0.5 hours for cushion = 3 hours. So leave Yangshuo by 08:30 after breakfast and you have more than enough time. If for any reason there are "road conditions" going on that particular week, the hotel will know and you can compensate with the time you leave. Guilin Airport is not very big and it doesn't take much time to check-in and then get through security for a domestic flight, nor to walk to your boarding gate.

So, unless you specifically want to come back a day earlier from Yangshuo and spend it in Guilin city looking around, I'd say no need to change hotels.

Yangshuo County...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shangri-La or Sheraton?

Actually there is no big difference between from Yangshuo to the airport or Guilin to the airport, because drive through Guilin city area is always slow, but drive from Yangshuo directly to the airport is by high way, takes about 1 hour.

However, if you still want to stay in Guilin, Then i would suggest you to choose Sheraton, which is a very good location for both the view and the environment .

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shangri-La or Sheraton?

Stayed at the Sheraton in September. It was very nice. I enjoyed getting out and walking around and the market is adjacent, although we were warned to be careful about the market at night.

l r
guilin
Level Contributor
77 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shangri-La or Sheraton?

Sheraton is economical.

Yep,departing from Yangshuo will cost u about 1hour more than from Guilin.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
621 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shangri-La or Sheraton?

Thank you everyone for the info. Based on your comments, I think that we will head directly from Yangshuo to the Guilin airport.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shangri-La or Sheraton?

We just came back from Guilin. From Yangshou to the airport was hardly an hour and they allow check-in only 1.30 hr before the flight. We stayed at Sheraton which is better located than Shangri-la. However would have preferred Lijang waterfall hotel as it looked better than Sheraton.

8. Re: Shangri-La or Sheraton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 30, 2014