We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dong Minority / Dragon's Back rice terraces

Neuchatel...
Level Contributor
132 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Dong Minority / Dragon's Back rice terraces

Hi all,

After having read several guidebooks and numerous posts and travel agency itineraries, I am still at a loss as to the best way to organize a trip to the Dong Minority /Dragon's back area. Could I ask anyone who has been in the area to put in their two-bits worth, please?

We will be staying in Yangshuo for a week first (that has already been booked), and want to be picked up there with a car/driver (there are two of us). I'd like to go to Zhaoxing and probably spend a day hiking thrugh the numerous villages there; go to Sanjiang Dong and also to the Longji and Pingan terraces. We'd like to hike about 3-4 hours a day and visit all the other sights (bridges, drum towers etc), and stay in places that have great views. We're certainly not budget travellers but not 5 star either.

Has anyone been in the area and done a similar trip? Could you recommend what sort of itinerary to plan so that I can book something (car / driver etc). I'd very much appreciate it! Cheers

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dong Minority / Dragon's Back rice terraces

You have a few options depending on where you visit after/before Guilin-Zhaoxing area. Add more details.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dong Minority / Dragon's Back rice terraces

For example: You could get to Zhaoxing from Guiyang, Guilin and even Guangzhou and vice versa:

Near Zhaoxing, there is an airport by Liping providing flight to Guangzhou (connected to Shenzhen and Hong Kong) and Guiyang connected to all major cities of China by air.

From Sanjiang where not very far to Zhaoxing, you can take train to Chengdu, Chongqing, or Zhangjiajie.

From Zhaoxing, you can also drive to Guiyang in 4 hrs via motorway.

So you'd better consider these factors before making decision organizing your China trip.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,374 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dong Minority / Dragon's Back rice terraces

You have a lot of time in Yangshuo so I would suggest that you figure it out when you get there. You hotel can help you or you will see a lot of small travel agents. English is widely spoken there.

l r
guilin
Level Contributor
77 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dong Minority / Dragon's Back rice terraces

You may need a tour-guide?!

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dong Minority / Dragon's Back rice terraces

Hi ateach52

I kinda did something like that.. I stayed in Yangshuo for 4 days and moved to Dazhai with a private driver/Minibus (5/6 people confy)

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g1159371-d157618…

I stayed @ wisdomm inn in Dazhai and with Sandy I was able to organize the car to pick us up in Yanghuo and take us to Dazhai.

6. Re: Dong Minority / Dragon's Back rice terraces

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 07, 2014