We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

Hello,

I decided to start a new thread since the previous one dealt with weather conditions.

Like I mentioned before, I’d like to take some photos at sunsets and sunrises of sites near Xingping and Yangshuo. In order to do that, I’d have to be able to reach them by bike or walking from the place I’ll stay at. Are Yangshuo Mountain Retreat and Xingping This Old Place International Youth Hostel close enough to:

1. Xianggong Hill, Yellow Cloth Shoal and Laozhai Hill (near Xingping)

2. Langshi (Can I bicycle there form Xingping?)

3. Yangshuo Bridge and Gongnong bridge (near Yangshuo)

Are there any hotels in Xingping?

If I chose to stay at Yangshuo Mountain Retreat all through my stay I would need to hire a taxi to drive me to places from No 1., correct?

Also, very important: are there any bike rentals in Xingping?

Is it safe to walk around by dark, i.e. before sunrise and after sunset?

Can I get a good map there?

Thank you very much again!

mb

vw
london
Level Contributor
262 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

We stayed for 5 days in Yangshuo Mountain Retreat last year. Lovely place and all the staffs were very helpful. May I suggest you can contact them direclty for all your queries. They do answer email enquiry very quickly.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,848 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

I have yet to see what I would consider a good map of this area.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

Thank you both. It's a good idea - I'll contact the hotel.

Yangshuo Guilin...
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

Xingping old place hostel close to:

1. Xianggong Hill, Yellow Cloth Shoal and Laozhai Hill (near Xingping)

2. Langshi (Can I bicycle there form Xingping?) You are not able to bike there, just by boat.

Yangshuo Mountain Retreat is colse to Yangshuo bridge and Gongnong bridge.

You can hire a car for your tour in Yangshuo if you are photography lover.

You can hire bike in Xingping and get good Map of this area as well.

guilin private tours

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

1. Can be reached based from Xingping old town, Laozhai hill adjoins Xingping old town, and Old Place International Youth Hostel as well. But Xianggong Hill is a bit distend from Xingping, if you take sunrise picture to Xianggong Hill, better to stay overnight close to the mountain. so you definetly need a local guide to lead you to a closed accommodation and right path to the mountain.

2. Langshi is very close to Yangdi (about 1 hr hiking), take bus from Yangshuo to Yangdi, 10 Yuan pp, then take a raft to drop you at Langshi, 118 Yuan pp. You can hike to Langshi as well though, but a hike ticket (not sure how much as not publiced yet, perhaps it is 80 Yuan pp) is still needed.

3. Yangshuo Mountain Retreat is one of the right places.

> If I chose to stay at Yangshuo Mountain Retreat all through my stay I would need to hire a taxi to drive me to places from No 1., correct?

--- Right, as they are just like right hand and left hand of Yangshuo. You need pre-book a car one day in advance as there is no taxi available, where Yangshuo Mountain Retreat is located. The road is more like a rural path, asphalted though.

>Also, very important: are there any bike rentals in Xingping?

-- I think you don't need a bike.

> Is it safe to walk around by dark, i.e. before sunrise and after sunset?

-- Very very safe, as long as you aren't lonely female.

Edited: 11:52 pm, February 09, 2012
australia
Level Contributor
976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

Hi

Walking around is as safe you want to make it.as is the case anywhere

Xingping is great place to stay and you can climb th 1200 or so steps to the top of silentlandscapes.com/lao-zhai-shan-xingping-…

for spectacular view sof the area

Smoke from the villages can make it a bit hazy but still brilliant .

Morning and evening would be fabulous

It is a reasonaby tough climb as it is straight up with the odd tricky part .

Be aware of rusting handrails etc on the tricky parts and at the top

Fabulous views of the surrounding area as the link indicates .

The walk starts from across the hostel and it would be hard to beat this spot

The hostel rents bikes as well

Xingping is changing chinese tour groups have discovered it in numbers so it wont be long.

I believe they are trying to retain the charm of the old xingping and the main street will give you an idea of what Yangshou ( west street ) was like back in the early 80's

The yangdi /xingping river walk is also spectacular

At the top of moon hill there are fabulous views of the valleys below

Cheers and happy shooting

Another 2 links for you

www.bicycle-adventures.com/xingping.html

thetraveleditor.com/article/7782/Feature_Art…

''at my age I know everything , I just cant remember it''

Cheers

Edited: 1:50 am, February 10, 2012
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,848 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

Sakya - I like your signature!

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

Thank you so much for all the precious information!

OrientalRed – with regard to climbing the Xianggong Hill, could you recommend any local guides? It sounds like a very good idea. I love hiking.

Sakya – thank you so very much for the links and tips too!! And I also love your final line:)

I have one more request for advice, if I may. I think I will divide my stay and stop for a couple of nights at the beginning in Yangshuo (2 or 3 at most), and then move and spend most of my stay in Xingping. My plan, however, was to then go to Dazhai to see the rice fields (Dragon's Backbone) and stay at the Wisdom Inn. The problem is that my flight back to Beijing (from Guilin) leaves very early in the morning. Which of the 3 places should I choose as my last destination to have the easiest ride to the airport? I’m not sure in what order I should visit.

I really don’t know how people planned their trips before tripadvisor was created! You are really good to me!

mb

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

Sry, i think it's not hard to find one by yourself, just ask about this at your guesthouse, tour guides are so many in Yangshuo. At most 200 yuan/day.

To catch early flight, Guilin and Yangshuo both do the job, but from Yangshuo it will be a car you pre-booked, about 250 Yuan one way, if in Guilin, just stop one on street at any time, no more than 80 Yuan one way.

The order would be Guilin airport - Longji rice fields - Yangshuo - Guilin airport (or Guilin City one day before you leave to airport)

Edited: 1:24 am, February 11, 2012
10. Re: Yangshuo Mountain Retreat vs. Xingping This Old Place Intern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:47 am, June 11, 2013