We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guilin or Yangshuo

Goulburn, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Guilin or Yangshuo

Hi guys, just a quick one. We are flying into Guilin late at night. next day we are going to Yangshuo and the next day back to Guilin.

I would love to know which is better to do the cruise in....

do we cruise down from Guilin to Yangshuo or do we bus/taxi down there and do the bamboo rafts?

there will be 5 of us and all are willing to do anything for the best experience.

We dont have enough time (!!!!!!) to do all we want.

We leave Aus on Friday so a quick reply is REALLY APPRECIATED

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guilin or Yangshuo

Bamboo rafts.

Depending how late you arrive, I'd consider going straight to Yangshuo from the airport. Hotels will arrange transfers.

Goulburn, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guilin or Yangshuo

Thanks Drumbrake, I certainly value your advise. I see you here regularly. I will look further into the rafts then.

But do we get to see all the beauty that (I have heard) by doing the cruise?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guilin or Yangshuo

You get to see the beauty in the areas surrounding the bamboo raft trips, and you avoid the noise and crowded boats on the Guilin - Yangshuo trip, as well as having more time to spend in Yangshuo itself (most of the morning would be spent on the boat coming from Guilin).

Goulburn, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guilin or Yangshuo

Thanks Drumbbrake, I swear, between you and katetam, you could plan your whole holiday!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,680 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guilin or Yangshuo

Hi gabbysmum,

Skip the cruise & head straight for Yangshuo.If you are short for time give the cruise the flick pass & head straight to Yangshuo & do the bamboo raft trip. That will give you enough time to do other stuff in Yangshuo.

Trust Drumbrake - you always get good advise:)

Annie

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,848 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guilin or Yangshuo

Make sure your hotel in Yangshuo sends a taxi to pick you up - or 2 actually in your case. This will cost you 200rmb while the taxis in the lineup will ask for 600rmb.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,470 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guilin or Yangshuo

gabbysmum,

Everything at Guilin is more expensive,touristy area

Yangshuo is environment friendly/relaxing and lesser strain on the pocket

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guilin or Yangshuo

As others have said, do the rafts. great fun as you traverse the small waterfalls.

You could do the boat trip of 4 hours, in the morning and the rafts in the afternoon if you wanted to. I did it quite easily that way but I also had a lot of time, so what I missed today I could do tomorrow. Though that is not your case and I would not recommend it.

The rafts will fill in only a few hours max. So if not doing the boat trip maybe a wander around the streets or some other activity to fill in the evening is required. A quick snack, then go to the liu san jie impressions show, and then maybe dinner after that. Try the beer fish(pijiu yu)I don't think it's so good but many people say it's great as a local dish. However I do like the fish skewers from the river that you will undoubtedly get offered on the raft trip. Don't forget the beer - they have that as well...

At anyrate, you will need to fill in the afternoon/evening. do not go to the butterfly spring expecting to see thousands of butterflies everywhere like i did. However, it is a beautiful place.

Actually the whole area is magical!

California USA
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guilin or Yangshuo

I would go strieght to Yangshuo, Guilin is not really that intersting and time beter spent on the ground in Yangshuo,than on the river getting there

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guilin or Yangshuo

Guilin is quite OK if you have had the time to knock around in it and find out where things are. It is not the one-stop tourist shop that Yangshuo is.

My preference is Yangshou over Guilin more so if you are time poor but otherwise not by a great deal. You can have a good and interesting time in both places.