We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Cotswolds UK
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos

Would there be a mosquito problem in September on a Li river cruise and staying in the rice terraces?

My husband is extremely attractive to the little beasts and needs to know how much protection he need.

We are also finding advice on Malaria confusing. Should we be taking precautiona in that area a t that time?

Please can someone advise.

Also what will the temperature be? Cooler evenings?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos

Will be mosquitoes and they will be biting so have plenty of protection.

Malaria is not a problem in Guilin / Yangshuo.

Mid 20s+ temp during the day.

Yangshuo Guilin...
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos

There are not too many mosquito at that two places.

Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos

I actually was bitten a fair amount (July). Take mosquito spray and after-bite. I was given anti-Malaria medication by my travel clinic. I'd look into it.

Colorado
Level Contributor
450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos

We were at all of these places you mentioned in May and there were mosquitos. I am like your hubby...if I'm in a group of people, I will get bitten 20 times and no one else will even see a mosquito!

You want to know where the most mosquitos were in Guilin??? In the AIRPORT! Here is the problem with that...repellent is a bottle of liquid, so you can't carry it on, so while we waited for our checked bags to come around the carousel, I got bitten a few times. My advice is to bring spray repellent, but also bring some of those pre-packaged repellent cloths that are like a handi-wipe. You can carry those on and that way you have something you can use right away upon landing.

In the rice terraces, we saw tons of small flies but no mosquitos, but that could change with the season. On the Li river cruise, we didn't see any bugs at all. But, the boat is in the middle of the river, moving at a decent pace, and the rushing wind helps keep the bugs away. I'm sure if you sat on the shore for a while it would be different.

I can't help with malaria...I'd ask a dr just to be safe, but we were told we didn't need precautionary medication in those areas in May.

As long as you have a few forms of repellent, you should be fine. Our dr recommended the "deep woods" kind which is 20 or 25% DEET.

In terms of temperature, May is like September and it was in the 80s or 90s, but it's the humidity that will get you. I hate heat and humidity, but after a few hours you just kind of get used to it and that's that. The evenings did cool off, because it rained a lot in the evenings. But, it's still warm, and still humid. However, this area was our favorite part of China by far and I think you will really enjoy all of the places you will visit.

Guangzhou China
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos

oldertraveller

I think it all has been said about mosquitos but there is on other thing I would bring and that is a good sunscreen and sunglasses. Most western people who visit the area do not lead an outdoor life or come from more temperate climate and so their skin is not conditioned to being outdoors anywhere from 4 to 8 hours a day.

If you want to see a very good slideshow on the area contact Lilly Lu a local Yangshuo guide on lulilly12@hotmail.com

Happy Trails

Lucky Aussie

Cotswolds UK
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos

Thanks everyone for your help.

We will be in Guilin from Sept 20th and I will let you all know how we fared.

Really looking forward to the trip

7. Re: Mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, October 03, 2009