We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chance of getting train tickets on the same day

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Chance of getting train tickets on the same day

Arriving Shenzhen's Shekou port from HKIA's sky pier on March 30, 2007. Planning to get on the soft-sleeper train later in the evening for Guilin. Have no other way but to buy tickets only upon arrival in LuoHu Train Station. What do you think is our chance of getting tickets? What is our other option in case we can't get them? We opted to take the overnight train to Guilin as we don't plan to stay overnight in Shenzhen as our hotel booking in Guilin doesnt start until the next day - March 31.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Guangzhou China
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chance of getting train tickets on the same day

Theshoemakers

You will probably be able to get a soft sleeper because these are the most expensive and consequently the last sleeping berths to sell. However if they are not available then you should ask about a hard sleeper because apart from the number of people that you share with there is very little difference.

If the train is not available and I would try to book while in HK I would go to Guilin by sleeper bus and to make things easier I would consider walking over the border at Lo Wu because when you exit China immigration you are right there at the transport hub.

Once you get through Lo Wu look to the right and you will see an escalator which will take up to the road overpass bridge, cross and you will exit into the Intercity Bus Station. Go to any window and ask for tickets to Guilin. About this time you will be encountering the language barrier so I would advise that you bring some strategic notes in English and Mandarin(available with meal from local Chinese restaurant) from home “I want to buy tickets to Guilin” a Chinese English menu and finally if your accommodation arrangements are not set in stone I suggest that you stay in Yangshuo rather than Guilin if for no other reason than the comparable accommodation is way cheaper $RMB180 to $RMB220 or $US22.50 to $US27.50 a night.

Anyway whatever you chose happy Trails

Lucky Aussie

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chance of getting train tickets on the same day

Thank you Lucky Aussie for those great tips. Especially the one about having the sign "where is the bus to Guilin" written in mandarin. Brilliant.

So our next option is the hard sleeper then sleeper bus. Is there any way I can book those train tickets at the HKIA (wishful thinking)?

Regrettably, I only discovered about Yangshou after I've already booked Guilin. I guess my interaction with Yangshou would be limited to the 2-4 hours after we disembark from the Li River Cruise. (Really want to catch the light and sound show by Zhang Yimao but i understand it's only shown during weekends).

Thanks again and wish you more luck, Lucky Aussie :-)

Guangzhou China
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chance of getting train tickets on the same day

The showing of the Light Show depends entirely on demand so I would certainly check while you are in the area. You may also want to go to the Dragons Backbone Rice Terraces because they are 800 meter mountains that have been terraced by hand to allow the minority people to grow rice. Apart from being spectacular you have to wonder how did they do that with hand tools?

While you are in Yangshuo spend some time in West St you can go back to Guilin by local bus up to 10.00pm and sometimes after and you will experience one of the reasons why I recommend Yangshuo over Guilin.

Happy Trails

Lucky Aussie

4. Re: Chance of getting train tickets on the same day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 22, 2009