We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

72 hour transit visa advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
72 hour transit visa advice

Hi

I am due to fly with China Southern from London to Vietnam via Guangzhou and my return flight has a 19 hour stop over in Guangzhou. I have seen as a UK citizen I will qualify for the 72 hour transit visa and have been told I will also qualify for a free hotel as my layover is more than 8 hours.

So my questions are:

Does anyone know if I have to apply for this transit visa prior to travel?

Do I have to inform the airline of my intentions to leave the airport to stay in a hotel?

Does anyone have a contact number for china southern in the UK?

Has anyone experienced the free hotel provided by the airline, if so what was the standard of the hotel?

Any advice greatly appreciated as I cannot find a number for the airline in the UK and don't really want to call China.

Thanks

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 72 hour transit visa advice

If you are in transit for less than 24 hrs then any other visa-free privileges are irrelevant. Anyone can transit China visa-free within 24hrs. You don't need to apply for a transit visa because you don't need a visa. Can't help you with the hotel questions..

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 72 hour transit visa advice

Thank you for your reply. Does this 24 hours include leaving the airport? As I have read reviews on sky trax saying that people were unable to leave even though the airline was providing a hotel.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 72 hour transit visa advice

Yes, you can leave the airport. I don't know anything about sky trax or the circumstances of those reviewers thereon.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,374 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 72 hour transit visa advice

It is very clear that you are ok. For the hotel check with the airline. I would not have high expectations for a quality hotel in this case.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,218 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 72 hour transit visa advice

Yes, yes, and yes.

Flow Chart For International Arrival csair.com/en/…transit_flights.shtml

International to International. 24 Hours Stay Permit Procedure. Free Accommodation Procedure. Solution to Misconnection.

Commitments of China Southern Airlines Transfer: csahttp://www.csair.com/en/tourguide/airport_service/transfers/ten_transfer_service_commitments.shtml

Commitment Eight: Free Accommodation in Guangzhou Single room hotel service and free pick up service between airport and hotel are provided for the passengers who have 8 to 48 hours connecting time. Passengers who need over-night accommodation can have the breakfast.

Free Accommodation Procedure: csair.com/en/tourguide/airport_service/trans…

For travelers' actual experience, read this topic, start from post No.19 to current. Do not read 1-18, confusing wrong info wild guesses. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298555-i3651-k615…

Edited: 2:12 pm, August 19, 2013
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,218 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 72 hour transit visa advice

Commitments of China Southern Airlines Transfer: csair.com/en/tourguide/airport_service/trans…

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 72 hour transit visa advice

Thank you macbcmini that previous post was really helpful and I feel much better about my transfer now.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,218 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 72 hour transit visa advice

There was an Indian guy who said CS refused him the room because he already checked in for the next flight. Don't know if that was true or if he was just incompetent, but maybe best to get your room first before check in for next flight.

Also maybe a good idea to print out China Southern's webpage about free room, just in case some stupid agent don't know what they are doing. There are many stupid people behind varies counters around the world, they tend to insist they are 100% right.

9. Re: 72 hour transit visa advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 21, 2014