We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

We (4 adults) are planning a trip to Guangzhou late November 2013 for 5 full days and need good advice as to:

1. Where to stay. (<$100, near good eating and great shopping places. A nice, clean hotel that is not too expensive.)

2. What to see. (Must see places from your experience)

3. Where to eat. (Loves seafood, timsum, food street or any great eating place.)

Thanks ahead.

Guangzhou
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
491 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

what do you think Holiday Inn Shifu Guangzhou Hotel at Shangxia Jiu lu Pedestrian Shopping Street, Guangdong Victory Hotel at Shamian Island, there a lot of restaurant at shamian Island and not far from the Shangxia Jiu Lu Pedestrian Street. Hotel Landmark Canton ,set in the older part of Guangzhou, the Landmark Canton Hotel overlooks the Pearl River and is one of the most well-known hotels in the city. just about 10 minutes walking to Beijing Lu shopping street.

What to see? depend on what you like. maybe you can have a look here

tripadvisor.com/…50095681

a lot of restaurant at the shopping street, like in Beijing lu Shopping street, there are some Thai restaurants,, Vietnamese restaurants,chinese restaurants, and some other resturants

the report would be useful for you .

tripadvisor.com/…47906326

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,218 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

Holiday Inn shifu is about US$100 for the lowest price room, super busy shopping and eating area Shangxiajiu pedestrian street, very cheap prices.

Beijing Road is another busy shopping area. See this topic for hotels on this road.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298555-i3651-k669…

Many current topics on Guangzhou forum answer your questions, you need to spend a little time to ope and read most current topics. Same thing I do when I visit a new city.

Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

Many thanks for the hotel recommendations. Its really helpful.

How about where are the seafood restaurant that are good and reasonably priced?

Thanks again.

Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

Many thanks for the hotel recommendations. Its really helpful.

How about where are the seafood restaurant that are good and reasonably priced?

Thanks again.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,218 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

This is in the recent topic about transit passenger: If you read some of them, you will find out a lot about Guangzhou, only takes a few minutes.

Haizhu Square. Landmark Hotel is on this Square. 2nd floor is a huge Chinese restaurant, always jam packed with locals, runs late, I have ate there passed midnight. or walk pass this hotel to Pearl river, there are many riverside seafood restaurants with live sealife on display. Get a balcony seat and watch people, food is so so, but fun. Restaurants on both sides of the Haizhu bridge. You can walk along the river bank, lots of tacky neon lights on the bridge and all the buildings along the Pearl river, that impresses a lot of people. You might even be able to ride on river cruise

There are also many restaurants on Shangxiajiu pedestrian street, as stated above, on Shamian Island, please read GZ Boy post No.1 again. Too many restaurants in GZ everywhere to suggest.

Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

Thanks again for the details informations. Will check out some of the links you've recommended.

Also, do you think it is a good idea to visit the Theme Parks in Guangzhou in late november? Will it be too cold or will the Theme Parks be opened?

Guangzhou
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
491 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

what theme park you said? Chimelong Theme Park?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,218 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

Eddie, I have traveled to GZ for 20 years, stayed in many different hotels, but they were all business trips, I never visited any tour sites, parks, lakes, or temples, just have no interest in them, but certainly passed many of them through the years, I am in no position to offer any advise on them, let's see anyone else can help you. Check out top right corner of this page for top attractions.

November in GZ is still warm, T shirt or polo weather, too warm for light jacket. So should be good weather for theme parks, they are located south of the city.

Taxi in GZ is cheap, most rides in city is 10-20 yuan (US$1.70-$3.50), don't need to worry about transport or waste time in subway unless really long ride.

Landmark hotel is close to main subway line 2, but not an exciting area except the seafood restaurants behind it.

My top choice is Holiday Inn Shifu, because it is an very exciting street with 100s or 1,000 little shops and restaurants, busy right outside hotel door. a very big and famous Chinese dim sum restaurant within one block, sorry, I don't the name(maybe 10-20 restaurants on the same block). 10 minutes walk to Shamian Island which has elegant colonial buildings for a graceful walk under the trees, you will pass old Chinese medicine market, dry seafood market, pet market, tea market. Victory Hotel on the island is pretty cheap, $50-$60) but a nice hotel, find it on tripadvisor and read the reviews, West Wing is best, executive room with balcony even nicer. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298555-d309404…

Pearl River is beautiful to look at night, or take a dinner cruise. There is a very tall tower to go up to see GZ.

Tianhe is a modern district with modern bldg. wide blvd, expensive 5 stars US$300 hotels, but I am not interested in this area.

Garden Hotel is a great hotel with busy shopping nearby, more western area, but above your budget.

Beijing Road hotels as mentioned above in post No.2 link, a busy shopping street, but more expensive than Holiday Inn Shifu area prices. Those 2 hotels should be $50-$80.

If you need cheap hotels ($30-$40), Aiqun Hotel is by the river, but hotel itself is not so good. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298555-d105447…

Singapore
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

Thank you GZ_boy and Macbcmini.

Its seems that most of my questions have been answered.

Got some ideas as to where to stay and places to visit.

Yes GZ-boy, the Theme Parks is Chimelong Theme Park, any idea if it is open during end November?

Hope it is not too much to ask 2 more question.

"What are the must try local foods, be it street foods or restaurants."

"Where should I go for the latest summer, spring fashions, sports wear, shoes etc?"

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,218 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help needed in planning my Guangzhou holiday.

GZ is not a street food or night market place, Taipei is great for those things, there are some food stalls on Shangxiaju, no chair, I don't eat standing up nor with my hand. I ate many great meals in GZ, but I have no GZ must eat, I don't look at restaurant names. Others can help.

Cloth shopping on Shangxiaju, Beijing road, and malls in Tianhe areas. We don't buy cloth in GZ, all too small for us and not our taste.