We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 hour 10 minute connection time in Guangzhou Airport

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
4 posts
Save Topic
1 hour 10 minute connection time in Guangzhou Airport

Hi there,

I'm looking at booking a flight from Bangkok to Guangzhou, then from Guangzhou to Amsterdam with China Southern Airline.

The connection time between landing at Guangzhou, and the next plane departing to Amsterdam is 1 hour and 10 minutes. Considering the amount of time it takes to get off a plane once it lands and through security, it seems very short though not impossible.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced or knows about having a short connection time at Guangzhou airport.

Thanks for any help

edit: it's under the one ticket

Edited: 4:26 pm, March 28, 2013
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,105 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 hour 10 minute connection time in Guangzhou Airport

If it is one ticket then it is not your worry. You probably don't need to go through security! There should be someone with a placard waiting for you when you disembark to guide you to your next boarding gate. Although CAN is huge, I don't think the International part is that big.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 hour 10 minute connection time in Guangzhou Airport

1 hour plus should be more than enough, otherwise CS will not schedule you as such. Airlines lose money when a passenger cannot catch the next flight.

I just booked air tickets few hours ago from SFO to Nashville Tennessee, domestic transit within U.S. is as little as 45 minutes. 1 hour int'l transit at Tokyo, Osaka or Seoul is normal, more than enough time, Tokyo or Osaka airports are many times larger than Guangzhou, I have to take airport train or walk very far to next terminals.

Most likely there is a security gate for transit passengers inside the transit area, such is the case for all airports, but not mixed with all passengers outside. Your luggage should go straight to next plane, without you claiming it in CAN.

Edinburgh
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 hour 10 minute connection time in Guangzhou Airport

thanks for the replies, very helpful!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,947 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 hour 10 minute connection time in Guangzhou Airport

The Minimum Connection Time at CAN for international to international flights is 75 minutes. You may see this clearly on CZ's website: http://www.csair.nl/page.php?id=42

Your schedule is 70 minutes, does not meet the MCT. This means that in the event of a misconnect, CZ is not legally required to reaccommodate you on another flight, even if they sold you the itinerary on one through ticket (which shame on them, they shouldn't be doing). And in BKK, they can refuse to tag your luggage through to Amsterdam. You would be completely dependent on the goodwill of the airline employees to break rules and assist you. Given the inclinations of Chinese airline staff, this is not a good position to put yourself in.

Therefore, if you choose this itinerary, you will be gambling. I personally would not choose this flight combination since I think the odds of a problem and misconnect....like a delay getting off the ground in BKK, would be high. Moreover, if you miss the CAN-AMS flight and have to wait for the next day to be placed on the next one by a rare gem of a CZ employee, you'd be into visa problems. Transit without visa at CAN is still limited to 24 hours only.

Edited: 4:18 pm, March 29, 2013
Edinburgh
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 hour 10 minute connection time in Guangzhou Airport

Interesting link.

I came across this one, which slightly confuses things. See their 'Commitment Two'

csair.com/en/…transit_flights.shtml

6. Re: 1 hour 10 minute connection time in Guangzhou Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 02, 2014