We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guangzhou or Shenzhen

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Guangzhou or Shenzhen

Hi all

I am gong to hk in mid march for work an then have three days thu eve to Sunday evening.

Planning a trip to Shenzhen and/or Guangzhou. Need advice on how to plan this. I can leave on thu evening and reach a city and see its nightlife/markets.

Should I do both the places a day each or would that be unfair to both the places in terms of feeling these places? Or should I just go to one of these places and which one?

What place should I stay in these places?

Is train travel good or bus?

Appreciate help

Mumbai
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Guangzhou or Shenzhen

I just checked and found it to be little to arbitrary and sometimes Indians get VoA and most of the times not even that. Anyway, planning to apply for visa tmrw and shud get it in 4 working days here.

@mac - beijing was a temptation from day one, just the flights tickets are too too expensive right now, US$300-400 back to catch flight to India. I even thought of just spending entire time in super fast trains! i checked hotels in these places, they are fairly cheap. most likely appears shud be going to guangzhou as read on a multiple forums that GZ has some character compared to SZ. Appears to me something SING vs HK with the formers= seeming to be a LEGO block world!

i believe the train vs the bus ride should be the same or bus is more convenient given that it can directly take you to your hotel and one can see outside too!

Mumbai
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Guangzhou or Shenzhen

it seems to me after reading some post that Tianhe district and East Railway Station Areas are good places to stay? there are a number of apartments/hotels/hostels in upto US$65/night for two people. i hope staying in apartments is fine.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Guangzhou or Shenzhen

Just thought of making a little bit more interesting.

How about taking a bus from HK to GZ and then a D Bullet Train to Shenzhen and the from thereon taking a Ferry to the HK Int Airport.

This was we get to see three modes of transportation.

I note that we can easily get a bus in HK and i believe i can manage the D Bullet train. Dont know how to get to Shenzhen Fuyong or Shenzhen Shekou ferry to catch ferry to airport?

The D Train schedule en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guangshen_Railway shows it goes to Dongguan; i note from there also the ferry goes to HKIA.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,124 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Guangzhou or Shenzhen

I like your adventure spirit, try different things and ways, it is an journey. You land and you'll figure it out in 5-10 minutes. You don't need too much advise or suggestions. I am a road warrior, you can drop me off in Mumbai, I'll find my way, drop me off in Africa with nothing, I'll find my way back. .

Bus from GZ can take you directly from GZ to HKG airport, you step off the bus in front of HKG terminal, just walk into to airport. So, you may want to go to SZ by metro from HK/KLN, then from SZ to GZ, then from GZ by bus to HKG airport. This maybe the cheapest way.

Tianhe is nice but not my taste, too new with wide blvd and tall office bldg, I like old area with 1,000 little shops and resturants. try Shangxiajiu pedestrian shopping street area. Holiday inn Shifu is in the middle of this very long street, maybe too expensive for you, use hotel map on TA or agoda.com to find nearby cheaper hotels.

2nd choice is Beijing Road, a newer shopping street. 2 cheaper hotels there, Lido Hotel (I have not stay there) and Hotel Canton (I stayed once). Again, use map to find a hotel nearby. They help you zero in on target areas.

Don't worry about taxi, 9-20 yuan ($1.50-$3) to most points in the GZ.

When in doubt, ask people, everybody will help.

15. Re: Guangzhou or Shenzhen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 05, 2014