We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hour layover, single female traveller advice needed

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
8 hour layover, single female traveller advice needed

Hi

I will be transitting Guangzhou on my way home from London in May next year. I have an 8 hour layover (arrive 12:50pm depart 9:05pm) and would rather get out and see a bit of the city than sit in the airport if I can. I was wondering if anyone has any current suggestions or tips for this (last thread on this topic I found closed 3 years ago). I'm travelling alone and not adverse to doing a half day tour (great if they could pick up and drop off at airport), or striking out on my own if transport is easy enough to negotiate. I neither speak nor read any Chinese languages or dialects. I'd like to grab a good Chinese feed and maybe see a temple or other culturally or historically significant places.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hour layover, single female traveller advice needed

I should add that it is a Sunday afternoon that I will be there. Not sure if that makes any difference?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hour layover, single female traveller advice needed

>> I was wondering if anyone has any current suggestions or tips for this (last thread on this topic I found closed 3 years ago). <<

I don't think that is quite the case. There have been plenty of short Guangzhou layover threads, many recently, if you just browse down the list in this forum. Like these, The subject comes up just about one every month at least. The list goes on:

13 hours in transit what to do?

by MelbourneBrowneyes Nov 27, 2012

One day in Guangzhou: what to do?

by Nora S Nov 11, 2012

10 hrs in Guangzhou

by dranujkiran Oct 25, 2012

Short Transit Enough time for Canton Tower/Dinner?

by DanBPerth Sep 29, 2012

6 hrs in Guangzhou ??

by CarissaCalista Sep 23, 2012

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hour layover, single female traveller advice needed

Yeah I did find those after I posted this (they didn't come up in search results for me). None of them really answered my questions though so still hoping there's someone helpful around. I've also subscribed to those threads in case anything comes up on them.

Edited: 9:58 pm, December 02, 2012
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hour layover, single female traveller advice needed

Calypso73:

Here's my attempt to answer some of your questions.

8 hour layover, you need to account for the arrival immigration/custom check, and the departure security/immigration check. Maybe 2 hours for both. Then you have 6 hours in between.

I think it is hard to catch a tour that matches your specific schedule. Unless you want to hire a private tour guide to greet you at the airport and take you to places.

The metro (subway) in Guangzhou is quite convenient and you can take it from Guangzhou Airport South Station. Depending on where you are going in Guangzhou (a big city), it would take about 1 hour or so to reach. Count for another hour back. You have about 4 hours.

If you have only time for 1 place to visit, then I would recommend the "Chen Clan Academy". It is a preserved, classic style Chinese architecture. Very well maintained. (Metro: "Chen Clan Academy" Station, Line 1.)

More info:

http://goo.gl/LjckB

= = = = =

If you have time, you can also consider "Temple of Six Banyan Trees" pogoda and temple.

More info:

travelchinaguide.com/attraction/…six_tree.htm

Metro: "Gongyuanqian" Station, Line 1 or Line 2. Walk about 5 to 10 minutes.

Map:

http://goo.gl/maps/gAhrx

= = = = =

Riding the metro should be no problem. You don't need to speak a word of Chinese. The subway map and instructions and station names are all bilingual - Chinese/English. The metro is very easy to use. If taking a taxi, the drivers may not speak much English. It is best to pre-prepare with destination cards written in Chinese.

Metro is very inexpensive. Taxi doesn't cost too much either in Guangzhou.

A meal: good food is everywhere in Guangzhou. There is an ancient Chinese saying "To Eat, Go To Guangzhou". So you can't go wrong eating anywhere that attracts your interest. I had some dim sum at a local eatery just one block away from Chen Clan Academy. It was very good. Dim sum is a breakfast/lunch thing. By the time you get around there it may be dinner time. Because you have limited time during your transit, I would not recommend following recommendations to take transportation to other places to eat, but perhaps trying to find something in the neighborhood of where you are visiting. Food is just everywhere.

Guangzhou metro map:

guangzhoutravelguide.com/images/guangzhou_me…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
153 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hour layover, single female traveller advice needed

Thankyou. That was helpful

6. Re: 8 hour layover, single female traveller advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:38 am, December 13, 2012
7. Re: 8 hour layover, single female traveller advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, December 17, 2013