We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone Card in China & HK

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Goulburn, Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Phone Card in China & HK

We will be in Guongzhou, Guilin and Hong Kong in October over 2 weeks.

Can anyone recommend a phone carrier that works in all three? I have used PANDA PHONE previously, but they seemed fairly pricey to call back to Australia. All, or at least the great majority of calls, will be from HK/China to AUS.

If Panda is the only option for ONE sim card, how about some recomendations on a cheap one for china and the same for HK?

They will need to be fairly easily found too. The one thing I did like with Panda was that they sent the sim to me in Aus, so I was ready to go when we stepped off the plane.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gabbysmum

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,259 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Phone Card in China & HK

Panda Phone isn't a mobile carrier, it's the company which rented you the phone.

Bring an unlocked phone and buy a SIM card (make sure it works nationwide) for Guangzhou and Guilin, and another one for Hong Kong. If you buy a Peoples SIM card in Hong Kong, chances are that it'll also work in mainland China, but you'll be roaming and charges will be very expensive.

Instead of calling back directly, figure out what code to add to the front of the phone number (eg 12593 or 17951 for mainland China, on China Mobile SIM cards) so that you'll get a cheaper rate, otherwise your credit would be eaten up in no time at all.

2. Re: Phone Card in China & HK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, October 04, 2009