We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

Hi all !

I will be going to China for the first time end of December 07 from Singapore. This trip is important because I am a chinese descendant - from Shantou - and I want to see about my ancesters hometown.

My itinary will be:

Singapore/Guangzhou 21/12

Guangzhou/Shantou 24/12

Shantou/Chaozhou 26/12

Chaozhou/Xiamen 29/12

Xiamen/Singapore 31/12

I have tried to check on accomodation but prices seem quite high.

Can anyone tell me where there is youth hostel in thoses cities? Otherwise, can someone recommend any descent and affordable place to stay?

I will be travelling alone and don't know anyone there, and I don't even speak the language :o)

If some of you who read me happen to live there and to be free or a drink or a walk in the city, please do let me know... I would be delighted to meet people there !

Hope to read you soon

Jean-Baptiste

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

Well, what's your expected price range? I don't know what you consider "quite high" or "affordable".

There're IYHs in Guangzhou and Xiamen but not for the other places. However at least in Guangzhou it's quite easy (at least for me) to find reasonably-priced budget hotel rooms that are comparably-priced to the hostels.

Guangzhou Riverside IYH: http://rsyha.com/en

Guangzhou Garden Inn IYH: http://www.yhachina.com/ls.php?id=61

Guangzhou IYH: http://www.baiyuncityhotel.com

Xiamen Gulangyu IYH: http://www.yhagly.com

Xiamen IYH: http://www.yhaxm.com

I've been to those 2 places, email me directly at ellyse99@yahoo.com if you need accommodation help -- put "TripAdvisor" and your own username (eg dunqiang) in the subject line so that I know who you are, thanks.

Singapore
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

hi

How was your trip? I intend to do:

Singapore - Xiamen

Xiamen to Shantou

Shantou to Chaozhou

Chaozhou to Meizhou

Meizhou to Guangzhou

Any advice and tips regarding transportation and accommodation is very much appreciated.

George

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

If you're coming from Vancouver and on a budget, you might like to fly with Oasis Airlines to Hong Kong first. Or if you can find a cheap flight to Guangzhou or Shenzhen (both are cities in Guangdong province) then it would be even more convenient.

From Hong Kong I think there're flights (though relatively expensive) to Shantou, I'm not sure if there're direct buses. Certainly no trains. There will be more frequent buses from Shenzhen and Guangzhou to Shantou, and less frequent trains from Guangzhou to Shantou.

Generally the best weather to visit should be in November-April. Look on www.travelchinaguide.com/climate/shantou.htm for more detailed information.

travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/… has some information which you might find of use to you.

Shopping? I don't think these places are particular known for this aspect.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to uncover anything of use about "Foyang". I also tried "Fuyang" but no avail either.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

Heh I can read Chinese. Lifted the Chinese characters for Fo-Yang (Fuyang) from one of the photos: 浮洋

The more complete address would be 广东省潮州市潮安县浮洋镇.

From Guangzhou's Haizhu long-distance bus station, a bus to Chao'an (潮安) leaving at 1530 would stopover at Fuyang enroute. Unfortunately that was all the long-distance bus information I was able to find online for Fuyang. Hope that helps!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

Well, I just hope it was the right place, I wouldn't like to send you barking up the wrong tree, so to speak!

Have the Chinese characters for both Fuyang and Chao'an printed out and take them to the long-distance bus station. Otherwise you might yet end up somewhere else due to pronunciation problems. And show the bus driver the Chinese characters for Fuyang once you get on the bus and impress on him that that is where you want to get off, so that he can wave you off the bus at the correct place. I think it will be somewhere enroute and no need to go all the way to the terminus.

Singapore
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

Hi, Ellyse and friends. I'm so glad to find this thread. I'm planning a trip for my family and Foyang 浮洋镇 is the very place we are heading. My Mother In-Law and three of her children were born there.

I wish to know which is the best point of entry from Singapore. If we choose Xiamen, how can we make our way to Foyang and back? We only want a day trip to Foyang, not staying overnight. Which is the nearest major airport to 浮洋 ? Along the way, is it possible to catch some sightseeing? Mt Wuyi, maybe....

TIA,

juliana

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

Yes, I think Xiamen would be the most convenient airport to Fuyang.

Look on www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa… for a list of long-distance buses from Xiamen airport. I think you might try for any one that's heading to Chaozhou or Jieyang, and ask to be let off at either Chao'an (if possible) or Chaozhou. Then catch another bus to Fuyang. I would advise you to bring as little luggage as possible!

No sightseeing on that route AFAIK. I haven't been there before so please don't take my word for gospel!

Singapore
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Will keep you posted if I made that trip....

Cheers!

juliana

Petaling Jaya
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

i am referring to this remark:

" .. About fo-yang, I found something on the web about a tour made by a group of people from Malaysia to this place call fo-yang district. Unfortunately, there is no contact info on the website as it would be nice for me if I can correspond with them. Any suggestions anyone? Maybe someone on that trip might see this post. The website I saw is

…time.net.my/bukitbintang/benphang/china.html "

Well, i happened to be here looking for something and i saw this link which is my homepage but since then, the page had been relocated to

http://dhost.info/benphang/china.html

There is a email address elsewhere but anyway i would not be able to help much though as the trip to Shantou, Chaozhou, Fo-yang, etc were arranged by a local clansman living in Shantou. He arranged for everything - accommodation, transport, food and itinerary. The trip was then in 2001. i and other "Phang(彭)" members hope to be there again in the near future.

Cheers!

Guangzhou
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Guangzhou / Shantou / Chaozhou / Xiamen... need your help !

It is a pity that I saw this message so late,Chaozhou is my home town and Foyang(IN FACT SHOULD PRONOUNCE FU-YANG)

If anyone who still want to know anything about Chaozhou or Shantou, please send a email to me at sushanwu1986@hotmail.com,please mention that you are from tripadvisor

good luck to you!