We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 Olympics

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
497 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
2014 Olympics

My granddaughter is hoping to be on US figure skating team for this Olympics. In thinking and planning ahead, wonder which hotels are closet the the Stadium, and Skating venue?

also, what is the easiest, and cheapest way to get to Sochi? I realize there are probably two different answers to this question.

any other tips would be appreciated, this city looks beautiful!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: 2014 Olympics

It is amazing what some "travel agents" are currently doing. There is one "travel agency" that has completely rented one "three" star hotel in Adler. Can not find any information about the agency - except their own web pages - which look really good. As for the "hotel" can also find very little on the internet. Most sites, if they list the hotel at all call it a 2 star. The agency is charging 210 Euros per night. They do not accept credit cards and want you to wire them 50% of the total cost now to either a bank in Russia or Germany. Balance due 2 months prior to travel. NO RECOURSE IF THINGS FALL APART OR THEY DON"T MAKE THE BOOKING!!!!! Don't know about anyone else, but something smells.

We will book when we find something reasonable........which means we will probably hve to wait until the September time period.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: 2014 Olympics

Karpaty, Last September, they changed the Visa requirements for the United States. According to the Russian Embassy web site they now issue "multiple entry" visas that are valid for 36 months. Specifically:

"In accordance with the Agreement between the Russian Federation and the United States of America on the simplification of visa formalities for nationals of the Russian Federation and nationals of the United States of America effective September 9, 2012 the US citizens shall as a rule be issued multiple-entry business, private, humanitarian and tourist visas for a stay of no more than 6 months starting from the date of each entry that are valid for three years (36 months) from the date of issue of the visa."

No need to wait until 3 months prior to travel.

Riverview, Canada
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
63. Re: 2014 Olympics

I contacted the Vesna Hotel just out of curiosity to see what they would tell me about rooms. They got back to me quickly saying that right now the Olympic Committee was holding rooms and nothing was open for sale...but to check back in June at the earliest when they will be released. I'm feeling a lot better now about waiting until later to book. I think the disreputable "agencies" that are pushing the 2* properties are playing on the foreign tourists who are nervous about waiting last minute to book.

Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: 2014 Olympics

Yes, thanks for this info, it confirms no one should rush to book on inflated rates. Although I doubt IOC releases the rooms before Fall.

Edited: 4:05 pm, March 25, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: 2014 Olympics

Assuming we can book directly with a hotel, the Russian Government has placed maximum rates that hotels can charge. You can see those rates on the following web site:

…rian.ru/infographics/20130207/179283694.html

Nassau, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
66. Re: 2014 Olympics

How likely is it tickets for the Sochi (2014 winter) Olympics will be available to buy, in Sochi, at the time of the games? What will likely sell out, what not?

Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: 2014 Olympics

Some tickets are likely to be available, either officially (mostly for less desirable events, eg., preliminary women hockey) or from scalpers - one must be careful though, Russian govt announced severe penalties. Perhaps you can count on increasing your portfolio on the spot, but travelling all the way there hoping to buy all tix in Sochi is a bad idea.

68. Re: 2014 Olympics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, July 30, 2013
69. Re: 2014 Olympics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 pm, August 25, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: 2014 Olympics

If youare still struggling to find Sochi Olympics lodging, a boatload has just come available on the web, some (not all) of it reasonably priced.

Russian speakers start here: www.snimu-v-sochi.ru . This has by far the best selection and the listings are up to date, most posted in the last 72 hours. Almost every listing has a phone number and you are usually talking direct to the landlord, not to middlemen. I selected a hotel room for 4 with fridge, TV and wifi for $180 per night near the beach in Adler, halfway between the Coastal Cluster and the Adler train station where you catch the express train to the Alpine Cluster.

The second site is in English. The selection is smaller but it has a few good ones, and you can do direct bookings via web: www.iha.com. Select “Map search”, then “Russia”, “Southern Federal District”, “Krasnodar Krai” and then “Sochi”.