We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Studies and Living in Hostels in Rostov-on-Don

Which Rostov-on-Don hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Quetta, Pakistan
1 post
Save Topic
Studies and Living in Hostels in Rostov-on-Don

Hi

With your experience I hope you would also be able to tell me this too. I am planing to come to Russia for studies as international student and till now I have 3 cities that I have to chose from which are 1. Tomsk 2. Samara 3. Rostov-on-Don

What is your opinion in means of cost of living, living standard, which one is more developed city and success in future in means of jobs?

From all of personal research I think Rostov-on-Don is on top which is more developed and advanced city in all three I mentioned above? but this is just net research obviously those who have lived there will give best opinion.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Studies and Living in Hostels in Rostov-on-Don

Hi, all three cities you mentioned are pretty livable, with a strong students' presence, especially Tomsk, which is a very young "univercity" city. Samara is biggest of all, and probably the most industrial of the others. Rostov is the southernmost (=warmest of three), with some "provencial" flair. As for jobs - putting aside legal and language status - it depends on the field of your studies. Industry - probably Samara, oil and gas- Tomsk, agriculture - Rostov.

Good luck!

Quetta, Pakistan
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Studies and Living in Hostels in Rostov-on-Don

Thanks for all the info, I am a Graphic and Website Designer having professional experience of more than 10 years....... I read I.T industry is more in Rostov-on-Dov but not any less from Samara too, well lets see....

I have invitation from Povolzhskiy/Volga State University of Telecommunication and Information in Samara, I hope its a good place to study....

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Studies and Living in Hostels in Rostov-on-Don

I have been to Rostov many times and lived their for a short period. My daughter lives there. Great place. Wonderful city. It get's my vote. AIM.

Kandalaksha, Russia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Studies and Living in Hostels in Rostov-on-Don

My Rostov-on-Don experience has been of the Russian Misery Travel (c) type. The last time I went there on a very sad business. Stayed in a hotel where noisy prostitution trade was happening right under my door, and no amount of complaining helped. Before that I was on a plane full of journalists coming there for a story of an American being arrested because he possessed a GPS device. Noisy. Crass, Stinky.

Samara is more livable but I have no details.

Tomsk has a good reputation, especially its old university. Olesya ( www.russiangirfriday.com) knows is from Tomsk, travels there regularly, has active reliable contacts there. Talk to her for Tomsk related advice.

Again, Rostov-on-Don embodies the worse of Russia. Noise, pushiness, dirt. One impression was cafe staff turning music up as soon as we'd walk in. Most dogs there are three legged because of aggressive drivers. I'm extra-careful in/with traffic but Rostov-on-Don is the one of two places when I was pushed by a car. The other was Krasnoyarsk, which too is on my list of places to avoid.

Hope the above helps.

Azov,South Russia
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Studies and Living in Hostels in Rostov-on-Don

I would suggest to consider the above post as prejudice and inappropriate rubbish.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Studies and Living in Hostels in Rostov-on-Don

please can you make any comment about your experience with racism ....

Edited: 4:18 pm, December 15, 2012
Azov,South Russia
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Studies and Living in Hostels in Rostov-on-Don

Yes,racism exists in Russia as people in concern uncontrolled migration from Middlle Asia.

During Soviet age there was special policy against racism which was close to success..Now is a bit worse.. But if you will be not on the bottom of Russian society you will never experience racism.Now,unfortunately, it appears mostly against Uzbeks,Tajiks and people from Caucasus.

8. Re: Studies and Living in Hostels in Rostov-on-Don

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, December 16, 2012
9. Re: Studies and Living in Hostels in Rostov-on-Don

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, October 08, 2015