We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Krasnodar July 11th to 21

Quebec City...
1 post
Save Topic
Visiting Krasnodar July 11th to 21

I will be visiting Krasnodar for approximately 10 days and I was wondering what is the average room rates during this period and also if it would be cheaper to rent an apartment and if so would one be available in the center of the city.

If by any chance you have contact information I would greatly appreciate it.

Red Street
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Monument to Catherine the Great
Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Durham, NC
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Krasnodar July 11th to 21

Well, in early May, room rates at the Intourist-Krasnodar were running around $50/night for a double. The hotel is reasonably pleasant, if you go in expecting that you're not at a Western-style hotel. There are some amenities that are nice, especially for the price, and there are some that are not quite up to what you'd be used to in Quebec.

Benefits: The front desk staff is fairly fluent in English (especially Anastasia and Tatiana), there's Wi-Fi available (extra charge, but reasonable) in the lobby and in 2nd floor rooms, and it's in the center of the city. You can have a great walk down Ulitsa Krasnaya, all the way to the main parks and the river. Very nice. Oh -- and a neat little cafe under a tent-like structure in the park in the middle of Ulitsa Krasnaya (Krasnodar is great, IMHO, as a very walkable city). Refrigerator in room -- which is great. Nice balconies, and good view of the Caucasus mountains if you're on a higher floor at the back of the hotel. Good, and frankly reasonably-priced, laundry service (about US$1.50 for clean/press a shirt, for example -- and it gets delivered to your room). Laundry service is nice, btw: you can pack lighter, saving you the over-weight charges. Pays off in Krasnodar; in Moscow, maybe not so much ...

Interestingly, there are things at the Intourist-Krasnodar that you'd probably take for granted, but that you won't necessarily get at other hotels in places like Moscow. Like picking up the phone and making a call (in Moscow, where I stayed, you had to pay first -- not at checkout). Or having your visa registered in 5 minutes, instead of several hours to a day or more. Or simply charging things to your room without going through major bureaucratic hoops. We in the West tend to take these for granted, but the hotels with a more Soviet mindset believe more in bureaucracy and employing as many people as possible, so everything gets really slow ...

Drawbacks: Beds are small (not a problem for me, but, then again, I enjoy camping), bathrooms are small and a bit dangerous (slippery), and the rooms really haven't been updated in some time. Then again, I suspect that many apartments would be like this, too, so I'm not sure it's a disadvantage.

I'd say the biggest advantage of the Intourist is that, if you don't speak Russian well, this is a place where they can easily handle English. I'd had a friend check out the K-dar hotels before I went (she's Russian, and K-dar native), and this was her recommendation of a place with the most amenities. Don't expect the height of luxury, but it's more than acceptable if you can deal with foibles.

Enjoy your trip -- I'm envious! :)

Mentioned in this post
Quebec
Quebec
Canada
Moscow
Moscow
Central Russia, Russia
2. Re: Visiting Krasnodar July 11th to 21

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, August 16, 2009