We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private visa to Novosibirsk- where to get invitation letter?

toronto
4 posts
Save Topic
Private visa to Novosibirsk- where to get invitation letter?

I live in Canada. I am planning to go to Novosibirsk to visit my husband with our child, could anyone told me where my husband can get the invitation letter? If you could provide the telephone and address, that would be very much appreciated!

I heard it is a pain to get a private visa, in my case, since our child is only 6 months, is it feasible to get a business visa for me and my little baby for this personal visit?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private visa to Novosibirsk- where to get invitation letter?

I think you are talking about a private, (as in, a person), home stay (as in a Russian citizens home), invitation letter? PRIVATE HOME STAY INVITATION LETTER. I person can get one of these (visa's)instead of a traditional tourist visa. The citizen in this case is acting as the sponsor, instead of a tour company or a hotel offering the invitation. The forms to do this can be obtained at a special militia (police) office. He will have to contact a militia office and ask where the closest militia visa office is. This is a special office, not just any militia office can perform this duty. It can take up to 6 weeks or so of processing time for him to get the invitation. And then he will have to mail the original to you, and then you will have to apply for your visa, and this can take at least a few to several weeks to get. So please note the considerable time frame that you may be looking at. You did not state for how long your stay will be? For a US citizen, a tourist visa is only good for a total of 30 days. Canada, who knows? But I would think the same? A standard business visa is good for 60 days, and you can also get up to a 1 year multi visit business visa, (if I remember right, any visa over 60 days, or maybe it's over 6 months require an AIDS test)? There are many options! I have visited Russian by all 3 ways. Private invitation, tourist visa with invitation letter through visa service, and business visa through visa service. All 3 worked fine, but a business visa with a child? I don't know how well that would fly? In the past I have used red star travel, (just google the name). The people who own and run this service are all former Russians, and their office is across the street from the Seattle Washington Russian embassy. So you might say that they are on a first name basis with the staff of the embassy. I would give them a call, or an email with questions. They can get you your visa and the needed invitation letter. Please note that no matter how you go to Russia, you have to register your visa with in 3 days upon arrival. This is most easy way to do this is at a hotel, (free and easy when you check in). If you use the home stay option, you can also register your visa at a post office, and or militia office. Believe me, you will want to go the post office route. The home stay option is a real pain in the you know what to get. So if it will be a short visit, I would go the red star travel tourist or business visa route. Maybe they can answer the baby question also? I hope this helps. Good luck.

toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Private visa to Novosibirsk- where to get invitation letter?

Thank you so much. It is the private home staying visa that I need. I will be staying for 2.5 months. One of Russian travel agency said they could do business visa for me and my little baby, and the process will take 7 weeks. But I am afraid there will be problem when I land in Russia. Would Russia reject my entry because I have a small baby with business visa, does it make sense? Please tell me how difficult to get the home stay visa in your experience? Is that 100% garanteed to receive the invitation letter?

Thank you again for your help. Please let me know as soon as possible.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private visa to Novosibirsk- where to get invitation letter?

I do not know if you can use a home stay invitation form in your situation? I do not know if you can use this type of invitation for a business visa or not? You said that you want to go to Russia for 2.5 months? The problem is that a tourist visa is only good for 30 days! And I do not know if a home stay invitation can be used for a business visa? Please google www.travel2russia.com This is the web site for RED STAR TRAVEL. They can get you the needed invitation letter and your visa. Phone #s are 1-800-215-4378, 1-206-522-5995, fax# 1-206-522-6295. Their office is across the street from a Russian embassy. They should be able to get your visa and such for you even though you are living in Canada. I would think any Russian embassy can issue a visa to anyone in the world? You may need to get a business visa if you want to go to Russia for over a one month period? I went to russia for 2 months last year on a business visa from red star, (even though the purpose of my trip was not for a business visit), and all went fine. You need to ask them how you can do this, and if taking a baby would be a problem with a business visa? Is the issuing of an invitation letter garanteed? Probably not garanteed, but why would they not give him one for his wife and child? I think he could get one with no problem, (my wife got one for me, no problems at all, and we were not married at that time). As to the time frame of 7 weeks? This seems very long to me. You can get them through red star very fast (if needed) for an extra fee ofcourse. The red star people do business with this embassy every day. If red star does not know anything about your problem, then I would think all they would have to do would be to walk across the street and ask someone who (REALLY WORKS AT A RUSSIAN EMBASSY). No other visa service that I know of can do this? You may have to get a multi enterence business visa to be able to stay for any time over 60 days? This should be good for 1 year, but it will cost more. Call them and get your needed information directly from the horses mouth. Good luck to you.

toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Private visa to Novosibirsk- where to get invitation letter?

Thanks for your information.

Are you saying that my husband should be able to get the invitation letter, it just will take long time. What is the maximum time frame to get the invitation letter?7 weeks? Could that be shorter? say 4 weeks?

And how long it will take to process the visa after I get the invitation letter? The Russian consulate in Toronto web site says the regular time is 2 weeks, is that guaranteed? of course, they charge you much more for shorter time.

Thank you for your help!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private visa to Novosibirsk- where to get invitation letter?

It took my wife about 6 weeks to get the invitation letter for me, but this was back in 2000. If it is faster now who knows? Two weeks to get the visa from the embassy sounds about right, but that us from the time that they get everything in the mail. So if they get everything on a monday, it may be 2 weeks or a little longer from that day? If your husband is Russian, then he knows that he can bribe someone to get the invitation much faster. This is not a suggestion, only a fact in most cases in Russia. Good Luck.

Vladivostok
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Private visa to Novosibirsk- where to get invitation letter?

The invitation letter can take approx. 4 weeks to be made.The visa service should be able to expedite your visa through the consulate for an additional fee, as little as 1 day if you want to pay the extra.

toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Private visa to Novosibirsk- where to get invitation letter?

Thanks everyone!

My husband applied for the invitation letter, and was told that it will be ready for me in one month, and 10 days for our boy, since my boy has his own passport.

Hope everything will be smooth!

Sweden
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Private visa to Novosibirsk- where to get invitation letter?

Hi,

I am going to Novosibirsk in July and I have had an invitation. In order to have an invitation Í had to buy the tickets first and then have the invitation.It took me two weeks tho have the invitation and the two weeks to have the invitation by express-post and one week to have my Visa in my own country.

9. Re: Private visa to Novosibirsk- where to get invitation letter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, September 26, 2009