We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash for St. Petes, one week, one person?

Emeryville...
Level Contributor
212 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Cash for St. Petes, one week, one person?

I have booked my tours, etc. via credit card. Not big on dinners out, but breakfast, snacks, small gifts, etc. i will be spending on. Will use my charge card when i can - any suggestions as to how much in rubles i should plan to take for a week? one person.

thanks!

Alla Tours
Sightseeing Tours
SPB Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
TJ Travel
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Insider Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
London, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash for St. Petes, one week, one person?

everything is very personal, St. Petersburg is like any other big city, so you can make your own calculations

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash for St. Petes, one week, one person?

No need to take any. Use an ATM when necessary.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
386 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash for St. Petes, one week, one person?

Use your ATM card as needed.

As a rule of thumb my philosophy is: if your bank charges you a hefty fee every time you use your ATM card, err on the high side--you can always make some payments you would normally make with credit card with extra cash if you see you have too much towards the end of the week.

If your bank doesn't charge you a fee for ATM use, err on the low side, you can always go back and get more.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash for St. Petes, one week, one person?

>>breakfast, snacks, small gifts, etc.

some prices to give you a rough idea:

- breakfast can be from $3 (a coffee and a pastry) at chain places like Coffee House etc up to $20-30 (full American with an omelet/OJ/whatever)

- snacks: ice-cream around $1-3, water 0.5l from $0.8 (in the shops) to $2-5 (at the street kiosks), bananas/apples - around $1,5-2 per kilo, baked pastries (pirogi) from $1, beer - from $3-5 (0.5l), coffee from $2 (at McD's) to $8-10 at the cafes...

- small gifts - all those matreshkas, magnets etc - from $5 and up, T-shirts from $12-15...

- paid toilets from $0.5 to $1

- public transport: bus/trolleybus/tram - 25 rub per ride per person, metro - 28 rub per ride per person (prices Sept 2013)

Keep in mind to buy things from street vendors (ice-cream, water, souvenirs) and in small convenience stores you would need cash, they don't take cards. Most of the coffee chains, blini places (Russian pancake houses) and larger souvenir stores do take cards (not mentioning restaurants etc).

Hope it helps to plan!

5. Re: Cash for St. Petes, one week, one person?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 15, 2014