We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better place to book a hotel

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Better place to book a hotel

Hi All,

I am planning to go to St Petersbarg from 19th to 23rd Aug (4 nights). Can you please advice what is the best district/area to book a hotel?

Also, I am planning to visit Russia for 7 days, and I allocate 3 days for Moscow and 4 days for St. Peter. Is it okay?

And last thing, what is the best way to go to St Peter from Moscow? I googled and found two options which seems better, one is by plane for one and a half hour, and second is by fast trains by 5 hours. What is the price difference between them?

Thanks for your support as usual.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better place to book a hotel

Between Moscow and St. Petersburg you have 3 options.

1. Flight. Prices vary on early/late purchase, airline, day of the week, one-way or return, etc. Check any major booking engine, or study respective airline websites. Airlines to check are Aeroflot, Transaero, S7, Utair, Ural Airlines. One-way economy should be about R3000-4000

2. Fast train Sapsan, 4 hours, One-way economy could be R2500-4000. Prices at www.rzd.ru

3. Night train - 8-9 hours, sleeping carriage. Price vary on cabin class from R1200 for 3rd class bunk openspace to R 20000 for a deluxe double bed compartment with personal shower, WC and Wifi. Details at www.rzd.ru and www.grandexpress.ru

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better place to book a hotel

>>(4 nights)... the best district/area to book a hotel?

anywhere along Nevsky prospekt between Palace square and metro station "Mayakovskaya" will be very central and safe. Also withing 2-3 blocks from Nevsky pr in the same "range". End of August is still sort of high-season so with such a short time left before your trip I think availability and price might be an issue...

3 days for Moscow and 4 for SPb sounds OK

Edited: 5:42 am, August 02, 2013
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better place to book a hotel

about a flight option between Moscow-SPb - even though the flight itself is only 1.5 hours but take into consideration time you need to get to/from the airports (and it's much more in Moscow), time you need to be at an airport in advance for all the security measures etc. I'd say timewise/hasslefree - train is better

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better place to book a hotel

thanks Vasily_from_Moscow for detail routes ..

@Svetakoshka ... yaa I know it's little late for planning, hopefully I'll get some decent place to stay within my limit. I'll try to find something as per ur direction. thanks :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better place to book a hotel

We stayed at Hotel 3mostA recently and found it very convenient for sightseeing. It's near the Church of our Savior on Spilled Blood and only about 10 min walk to the Hermitage Museum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298507-d183…

Edited: 10:46 am, August 02, 2013
6. Re: Better place to book a hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 04, 2014