We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus and Ferry Departure Questions

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bus and Ferry Departure Questions

My wife and I will be in St. Petersburg in late May/early June, and we are just now planning our itinerary. We are debating whether to depart from St. Petersburg for Tallinn via bus, or whether to take an overnight ferry to Stockholm (and instead to Tallinn as a side trip from Helsinki, before we arrive in St. Petersburg).

If we take the bus to Tallinn, can anyone advise as to which bus station we should depart from? The LuxExpress website (http://www.luxexpress.eu/en/timetable) shows two different stations, and I'm not sure which is closer to our hotel (probably Nevsky3) - the St. Petersburg Baltic Station, or the St. Petersburg Coach Station?

Also, we have not had much luck finding details on ferry service to Stockholm (except from Helsinki). Do you know if there is overnight one-way ferry service from St. Petersburg to Stockholm? If so, does anyone have a positive/negative experience - and also, can you please share the website where we can book the ferry in advance?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
St.Petersburg
Level Contributor
800 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus and Ferry Departure Questions

I would take a train from St.Petersburg to Tallinn, stay for two days there and then continue to Helsinki or Stockholm by ferry

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
217 posts
393 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus and Ferry Departure Questions

I'd take an Allegro fast train between Spb and Helsinki, and form Helsinki, take a ferry to Tallinn, a much easier plan logistically than trying to use Spb as a hub to go back and forth.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus and Ferry Departure Questions

Thank you Eugenia and hi_stick. We will follow your advice, and take a train from Helsinki to St. Petersburg, then a bus from Spb to Tallinn, and a ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm (we are flying in to Helsinki and then home from Stockholm...).

I think our only remaining question is which St. Petersburg bus station we should book our bus to Tallinn to depart from; St. Petersburg Coach Station (I'm assuming this one?), or St. Petersburg Baltic Station. Can anyone recommend which one?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus and Ferry Departure Questions

It is easier to go by subway to the Baltic train station, the Lux buses stop just 100 m from the exit, strait ouside in a square.

Mentioned in this post
Lux
Lux
1 Review
St. Petersburg, Russia
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus and Ferry Departure Questions

Brian, the Saint Peter line offers cruises between Stockholm and St. Petersburg: …stpeterline.com/en/OnBoard/News.aspx

Perhaps you have seen this already and decided it doesn't meet your "one-way" criteria due to the loop with Helsinki involved.

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
6. Re: Bus and Ferry Departure Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 28, 2014