We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice needed on internet cell phone service

Florida
Level Contributor
215 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
advice needed on internet cell phone service

My friend is moving to St Petersburg. She needs to purchase a smart phone and we would like advice.

Question:

In NY I have one thru TMobile where I give them $ 50 a month, no contract, and have unlimited text/phone/internet. Do such plans exist over there, and if so, which provider should she contac t ?

she will need to buy a phone. would it have an english and russian keyboard? and can you recommend one ( she is pretty much a novice) or do you have to get one from the providor....?

please share with me if you can

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice needed on internet cell phone service

> she will need to buy a phone. would it have an english and russian keyboard?

Most phones only have an on-screen keyboard today, and it can support any language you need.

> and can you recommend one ( she is pretty much a novice)

Buy an unlocked iPhone in the US before you go.

Edited: 2:04 am, December 01, 2012
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice needed on internet cell phone service

It would probably be cheaper to buy a GSM smartphone in the US, have it unlocked and bring it over. Avoid the ones sold by t-mobile though because t-mobile's network in the US is nonstandard and their phones are not very compatible with other networks when it comes to data.

Most plans in Russia are pay as you go so there is no commitment you can drop it any time. For this reason phones are sold at full retail price, and then some

Florida
Level Contributor
215 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice needed on internet cell phone service

thanks, that was quick !

so, when we purchase an internet phone here, it is necessary to know which providor we are using as the providor has only certain brands that work with their service...

but if I understand you correctly, we do not have to think about this ?

except for your advise about tmobile. of course

ironically, I have t mobile and a samsung that is awesome .. with a dictation system .. ! any idea if this is a possibility exists there

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice needed on internet cell phone service

Technically, you need a GSM 900/1800 phone.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: advice needed on internet cell phone service

There are four mobile cells in St.Petersburg (Tele2, MTS, Megafon, Beeline) and all of them offer unlimited call for only local phones or for phones in the same cell. Calls to the USA by mobile phones quite expensive (2,3$ per minute). You can use Skype if your girl buy a smartphone it is easy to setup Skype on the smartphone. There are enough offers with unlimited mobile internet.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice needed on internet cell phone service

I think we are getting our friend majorly confused. Let's start from the beginning. Most phones sold in the US are sold "locked" -- that is electronically manipulated to work only with a specific company's service, t-mobile in your case.

One option is to buy an unlocked Iphone as Marassa mentioned but it will cost you at least $450 - OUCH but still much cheaper than what it costs in Russia

Or buy a cheaper no name smartphone in Russia but make sure they turn on the English menus, keyboard in the settings

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice needed on internet cell phone service

The best phone in the market here now is the Samsung i9300 called the Galaxy S3 for about 22,000 rubles. An unlimited data account it pay as you go, about 1400 rubles from Megafon.

Few sources will unlock a US phone unless you buy on the internet and take the change sight unseen. Slightly older models are cheap and readily available so she can wait to learn about what she wants until after she gets here. There are cheaper networks but also less coverage.

They all offer English language interfaces if selected.

It is really best for her to figure out her needs and see what the local market has and how it works if she is going be living here. Let her decide after she gets here.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice needed on internet cell phone service

FYI if you call your cell phone co in the US they will send you the unlock code if you meet certain requirements.

9. Re: advice needed on internet cell phone service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, December 17, 2013