We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to make this work

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
361 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to make this work

I am trying to plan a trip on fairly short notice, about November 17, and, although I would have preferred to stay longer, I think the only way I can make this work is to come for a visa free 72 hour stay. Based on reviewing the forum, it seems the best is to book on St Peters Line from Helsinki, including the bus trip in to the city. Although I usually tour independently, it seems for reasons of language and minimizing waiting time, it is best to use one of the recommended tour companies to see the major sights, but should have time to walk around some on my own. I have the following specific questions but welcome any comments:

Looking at St Peters website I cannot tell if there is a single supplement when traveling alone or if I need to indicate somewhere that I do not want shred accomodations. Can someone familiar with this please advise?

For my 2 night hotel stay I need to stay in a Marriott because I will get the rooms for near free. The Rennaisance seems much better located but I am a little put off by comments about the hotel being noisy, both from the outside and between rooms. The Courtyard Pushkin sounds nice and much quieter but I am not sure whether its location is too inconvenient. I don't want to have to worry too much about taxi fare negotiations/getting to destination that so many people mention. Any recommendations?

My trip includes stops in Stockholm and Helsinki (including day trip to Tallinn).

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to make this work

Hi lLefant,

>>it seems for reasons of language and minimizing waiting time,

signs in metro are in English, menus in most central eating places are in English, entrance prices to the sites are in English, there are audio-guides in English in the major museums ... I wouldn't worried about "waiting time" at the end of November at all...

>>The Courtyard Pushkin sounds nice and much quieter but I am not sure whether its location is too inconvenient.

it's indeed a bit off in respect to the touristy objects (St.Isaak's cathedral, the Hermitage, Nevsly prospekt, Church on the spilled blood etc) BUT the hotel has a free shuttle bus that would take you to the nearest subway station - "Sennaya/Sadovaya" (and people find it helpful)

>>The Rennaisance seems much better located but I am a little put off by comments about the hotel being noisy, both from the outside and between rooms.

you're only here for 2 nights - it cant' be that bad, can it? And yes, it's better located. You can walk to any of the attractions from here.....

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to make this work

Renaissance noisy? Was it during construction? It is just far enough from the square to have little street noise. How was the noise described? I have been there many times for dinners but never stayed. I would really be wary of that claim of noise, it is not the sort of place to have not built sound isolation into the original design. I shake my head at some of the comments in reviews, as the reviewer had not gotten within 500 meters of some of their targets.

St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to make this work

There are three Marriot hotels in St. Petersburg: Courtyard Pushkin, Courtyard Vasilievsky and Renaissance. Only one of these three has really good location – Renaissance. Many of my guests stayed in the hotel and I never heard anything bad about it. The hall looks great, restaurants are nice and the best location you can imagine. So I think it’s much better than others.

4. Re: Trying to make this work

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 06, 2013