We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
35 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

We're taking some Mother/son time and traveling from Hel - SPB 17-20 Oct. We've hired a private guide (with car) for as many hours as we would like (can afford) so getting around is not necessarily a problem.

Thus far, ds and I have chosen to visit the war ship Aurora and some select rooms in the Hermitage.

I've also heard that there is a SPB water/sewage system museum somewhere..a fairly new addition to the "cultural" tours and has been recommended for a child/teenager. Can anyone provide me with any more info on this?

Any other suggestions for a 13 yr old boy? I've been to SPB several times before so this time is really all about introducing the city to my son. He's sporty, interested in shared the history of Finland and Russia (ie the war of '39-40) , and curious about technology.

Many thanks!

Edited: 3:50 am, October 15, 2012
Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
35 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

Many apologies for the header of this post.. I never checked or proofed it! :)

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

Hi PekkaV,

in addition (or as an alternative) to Aurora ship you can visit Icebreaker Krassin http://www.krassin.ru/en

As for the Water museum http://www.vodokanal-museum.ru/eng it's indeed recommended for children but I don't know if it has signs in English or English speaking guides... (however, if they have an English version of the web-site let's hope for the best!)

There's also http://www.artillery-museum.ru/en Military historical museum of artillery engineer and signal corps - can't get boys out of there for hours! :) The museum has some military machines outside the building so kids can climb some of them... And right now there's also an exhibition of Japanese samurai

Of course we have few museums about WWII and the Siege but they may not be too interesting for a 13 y.o. besides I hear they don't have any English translation :(

There's a Popov's museum of communication technologies www.rustelecom-museum.ru/main/?langID=58

And there's an interactive science center Unikum http://www.umnikum.com/about (in Russian only) where kids (and adults :)) can learn about math, physics, biology, astronomy and geology actually touching/observing/etc. The center is on the 4th floor of shopping center Gallery at Ligovsky pr, 30. Open daily 10:00- 22:00, on Mondyas 16.00-22.00. Admission: for 1,5 hour - 350 rubles per person, for 3 hours - 550 rubles.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

There is so much that kids would like, as Svetakoshka mentioned, the Communications museum is visited very little but is very good and modern. I have been there a number of times when I was the only visitor.

The Artillery and Signal Corp museum is the best of its type anywhere and will consume much of the day.

A favorite of mine is the Arctic Museum, really fascinating and with more exhibits than the building would appear to be able to hold. It is easy to get to, 24 Marata Ul in the center.

If you are going to Peter and Paul Fortress, visit the Cosmonautics and Rocket Technology Museum.

Two that are must sees for kids, the Central Railroad Museum at 50 Sadovaya Ul plus they have a rail yard with lots of old rolling stock outside the city. The collection of restored and far from restored rail equipment in the city suburbs rail year is very interesting, at least to me.

What kids to not like the Kunstkammer? Maybe squeamish parents since it has the Peter the Great collection of biological and anatomical oddities. It is across the river from the Admiralty.

Or visiting the C-189 diesel submarine, it is really interesting. It is next to the Lieutenant Schmidt bridge. I've been in a number of subs on display but this one is completely open for exploration of everything in it, it is all restored and intact.

What about the Zoological museum next door to the Kunstkammer. The Naval Museum was located around the corner but now is across the river. It is the biggest of its type in the world but seems to appeal to adults more than kids. It does have a great collection of Naval Architect's models made as proofs of concepts for the whole history of Russian naval activity, which mostly started with Peter the Great.. His home built sailing dinghy is located there also.

I have been to all these because I guess there is a kid inside every middle aged man;>)

The zoo is getting better all the time, it used to be a sad place. A new world class zoo is being built outside the city that will be a major international draw.

The water museum is modern and has nice displays but might not be as exciting as climbing all over the sub or the Artillery Museum for a 13y.o.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

Stanj, thanks! how could I forget my-once-favorite Arctic&Antarctic museum! http://www.polarmuseum.ru/index_eng.html

and Central railroad museum - the real trains exhibition is not only outside the city but also at what used to be Varshavsky train station and now is a train museum on-line.spb.ru/culture/museum_varshavsky.php

India
Level Contributor
212 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

This is quite interesting. Stanj. Where is the c-189 diesel submarine? does it have any visiting hours/is ti closed on wednesdays

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

Hope Stanj doesn't mind I answer :) Here's time-table (closed Mon-Tues) and admission prices members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/226d0b and here are some detailed pics englishrussia.com/2011/10/10/c-189-submarine… I've read some time ago that the tour-guides there are former marine people so they really know what they're talking about. Enjoy!

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

The access to this submaine is closed when there are 2 cruise ships berthed at that pier; the premises inside are limited and there might be a need for waiting when many school groups are coming (no more than 15 people accepted in one group at a time).

India
Level Contributor
212 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

thank you again...the website is in russian - when can we learn whether access is open or not?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

>>the website is in russian

what website? The two I gave you are in English (I checked from few different comps with different Inet browsers...)

India
Level Contributor
212 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days with a 13 yr old history / war male teenager

yes, thx, ioverlooked..i reached another website which was russian.